5 weeks (on yeast) in secondary...rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingHorse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My barleywine went from 1.108 to 1.030 after 3 weeks in primary, then stalled.

Racked to secondary with new yeast. Been there 5 weeks, down to 1.016 and still active. Has some honey in it, and I can still taste unfermented honey (more than I'd like) so I'd like to let it go a little lower. Afraid if I rack it to a keg now it will stop, but am starting to worry ever so slightly about the length of time it's spent on the yeast cake in secondary.

Advice?

woah. that's 85% attenuation and 12% ABV. I'd say rack to keg and if you want to let it sit there some more, cool, but it's pretty much done.

what yeast did you use??

Yeah, I'd guess that fermentation is complete and the sweetness you detect is just the residual sugars left over from all the grains and/or extract required to get an OG of 1.108.

Bike N Brew said:
My barleywine went from 1.108 to 1.030 after 3 weeks in primary, then stalled.

Racked to secondary with new yeast. Been there 5 weeks, down to 1.016 and still active. Has some honey in it, and I can still taste unfermented honey (more than I'd like) so I'd like to let it go a little lower. Afraid if I rack it to a keg now it will stop, but am starting to worry ever so slightly about the length of time it's spent on the yeast cake in secondary.

Advice?

Autolysis is highly exaggerated. I wouldn't worry about it. It really doesn't even occur unless the ambient temp is really high for a really long period.

DeathBrewer said:
woah. that's 85% attenuation and 12% ABV. I'd say rack to keg and if you want to let it sit there some more, cool, but it's pretty much done.

what yeast did you use??

Primary was on a WLP002 cake; secondary is WLP099 high grav.

Back