For Parties...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windaria

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... You know those cermaic water dispensers? Well, if you were going to have a party and put some of your homebrew on tap (beer/cider/hard lemonade/etc), would it be a problem to just grab one of those, stick the glass carboy on it, and deliver the stuff directly on tap like that?

I mean, if you only expect it to be out for a few hours and all, would it be an issue? Oxygen and all, that is? And again, I am referring to having a rather large gathering or something, where you expect it all, or almost all, to be guzzled by one person or another... ?

The carboy would warm up and the first bubble of air rising from the cooler would cause a major CO2 release. This might result in the carboy rocketing towards the ceiling. Or maybe not. Let me know.

I've used an electric water cooler for dispensing chilled punches.

david_42 said:
The carboy would warm up and the first bubble of air rising from the cooler would cause a major CO2 release. This might result in the carboy rocketing towards the ceiling. Or maybe not. Let me know.

I've used an electric water cooler for dispensing chilled punches.
Considering that he wants to put the Carboy onto the dispenser, then carbonation isn't an issue as you don't carbonate in a carboy. What you would have is flat, probably warm beer. Not my idea of heaven.

I have no intention of doing this (well, not for a good long time), I just figured that I would ask because I was reading another post talking about the effects of air, and was wondering if it would be that pronounced so quickly.

As for beer... OK, probably not my ideal liquid anyway... but what about like a hard cider? Those aren't always fermented anyway. And as for hot/cold, instead of using a ceramic container for the bottom, you could use one with the warm/cold taps, and use the cold tap (where the tap has some mechanism for cooling it as it flows from the bottle to the tap).

Anyway... it was just a thought.

Yeah-- you could do that but then you'd have to concern yoruself with cleaning those lines and the tap head. They are also not exactly cheap. By the time you start investing in that kind of thing you might as well build a kegerator or a jockey box system.

personally I've owned a jockey box for a while now-- before I started BYO-- and I find it a very nice way to get invited to everyone's party.

'Hey Kob-- can you bring your beer thing to my house on Saturday'
'Bergoff or better and you have a deal. You know, there's a sale on halfs of Capital Brewery beer at Party Port'

: )

Back