chocolate milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titletowngirl

Reaction score
Hi again. I'm getting ready to brew my third batch. Going to be a chocolate milk stout from a NB kit. I really don't want to screw it up because it sounds delicious. So any helpful hints/tips will be more than appreciated! Thank you all again!

Just do it. I'm thinking of brewing that up soon as well. Need it for Packers/Badger gamedays! Let us know how it goes.

The NB kits come with pretty decent instructions for brew day. I've brewed one of their kits so far with no problem. I think if you just follow the directions they send you should be good.

Is this an extract kit with specialty grains?

Good luck!

Extract. Also wondering if I should primary for longer than the directions state?

Oh yeah, they usually low-ball the primary and bottle conditioning times on those instructions. What does it say to do?

Most people around here will tell you to primary at least 3 weeks-1 month. I don't blindly follow this advice. I usually take hydrometer reading starting at 2 weeks, and check again at 3, and if the beer has cleared and the hydrometer readings are steady, I'll bottle. It may take longer or shorter depending on the beer.

Stouts take longer to bottle condition. I've actually never brewed a stout yet, so I don't know from personal experience how long, but I've read people say 1-2 months or more, again, depending.

:mug:

I would leave it in Primary at least 1 week longer than they say. I recently brewed one of these, and it finished pretty high, at 1.028.

I wish I would have left it on the yeast a little longer. I also wish I would have added a little sugar or DME to up the ABV a little. If I do it again, I'll add 2 lbs of honey at flameout.

Latest posts

Back