first brew day few worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyokid82005

Reaction score
well today is my 23 birthday i went out and got myself an equipment kit and a true brew hef kit. it went pretty well i made a few changes to it already. i changed the hop schedule a little. i added the first oz. of hops like normal and then a half oz. at 45 and then the last additon at flameout on a 60 minute boil. i cooled it down as quick as possible in a icewater bath took 10 15 minutes. then put in primary added some more cold water. the temp was about 56-58 degrees added the yeast sealed it up and put the airlock into the grommet. i noticed that the grommet was punched though and i tried to pull it back through and it fell into the wort. tried to fish it out didnt get it, stuck my hand in the wort and pulled some yeast out with my hand which was very clean. made a ghetto grommet with saran wrap. my questions are is the ghetto grommet ok to use. is the temp to cold for safbrew wb. 60 wheat yeast to frement? sorry for the book im just worried that i comperised all the time it took to sanitise everything.
thanks
Pat

Your ghetto grommet will work. Just don't expect to see much bubbling in the airlock. It may or may not bubble. Just use your hydrometer to gauge fermentation if its not bubbling. Next time this happens just leave the grommet in there. It will not hurt anything. More than likely your beer will be fine. People have done worse things and still made beer.

You're ok. As Double said you might not see any bubbling due to the poor seal somewhere, but that's ok. Everything else sounds good and I think you will have some very tasty beer!

We've all done a LOT worse that on occasion....and our beer turned out fine.

Here read the stories here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Just relax, your beer is not some weak baby...it's a lot hardier than most new brewers give it credit...it's pretty resilient stuff.

birthday_beer.jpg

:D

thanks for the reassurance i washed my hands really well and doused then with some really cheap 100 proof vodka before i stuck my hands into the wort.

If nothing else you might have boosted the ABV by a half a percent or so hahaha.

Really? You were born 24 Feb 1986? We have the exact same birth date, year included! I'm glad you're enjoying your birthday. I think my fiance has a bottle of wine waiting for me when I get home that I'm looking forward to.

well happy birthday to u too. i musht have done something right cause i just took a peak at the theromenter on the bucket and it has risen to about 60 degrees there is action in the bucket.

well happy birthday to u too. i musht have done something right cause i just took a peak at the theromenter on the bucket and it has risen to about 60 degrees there is action in the bucket.

Yup. I would have honestly let the grommet stay in the fermenter and covered the hole with some loose aluminum foil. Now you should watch the temps over the next few days until the activity subsides. Keep it on the cool side of your yeast's range if you can (wet t-shirt and a fan will do it) so that you get a nice clean beer at the end.

Latest posts

Back