Shank Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maffew

Reaction score
I am building a kegerator using a antique General Motors Frigidaire. Well I drilled my holes today and measured from the outside face to the inside face and it is 5 inches on the dot. What size shank am I safe with. If a 6 would work that would be great but I am afraid I am gonna have to buy the 8 "

A 6" should be fine if you get the ones with the built in barb for the hose. Then you don't need the extra room for the beer nut.

Ordered the 8" shanks, wanted to be on the safe side thanks. 2 Shanks, 2 tail pieces, 2 perlicks, 6 washers, and 2 stainless shank flanges at beverage factory shipped for $160, Dang...

Ordered the 8" shanks, wanted to be on the safe side thanks. 2 Shanks, 2 tail pieces, 2 perlicks, 6 washers, and 2 stainless shank flanges at beverage factory shipped for $160, Dang...

If you have a few inches of shank exposed in the fridge, it helps prevent the first pour being foamy from a warm shank/faucet. You'll be happy with the 8" as long as there's room for them on the inside.

The 8's should give me some extra shank inside fridge and yes I measured and the clearance is there. Here is the fridge. I will update as the progress goes along.

2012-03-03_19-24-55_98.jpg

2012-03-03_19-25-01_430.jpg

I think you will be happier with the 8'' than if you had gone with the 6''. I went an extra 2 inches, and am so glad I did because any shorter would not have worked for me.

Back