Kiwi Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever make a kiwi mead?

I would be going primarily after color, not flavor or aroma. I think a greenish mead would be passable as a Romulan Ale :D

Though, I'm aware of how colors often dull during fermentation...

Maybe throw a few mashed kiwis into a 1-gallon batch of show mead after fermentation is done?

Yes, but it didn't turn out well as I steam juiced the fruit and thatwas my mistake. If you're gonna do it, I suggest you just chop the fruit whole (skins and all) then add some water and campden tablets crushed (and pectolase) soak it for a few days, then add your honey, water, nutrient, etc.

I'd have thought that should retain some of the fresh fruit flavour (especially if you add some fruit to secondary/tertiary).....

I did a kiwi wine a few years back, It came out light green/yellowish/white wine colorish. I split the kiwi's in half and scooped out the meat with a spoon and then crushed it. It was very tasty, and I have been thinking of making more wine or trying a kiwi mead.

Well, I'm gonna make this...

1 gallon batch:

3lbs clover honey
12 kiwi's, peeled and pulverized (~2.25lbs)
D47 yeast

I'll post pictures eventually...

I made a kiwi wheat. Here it is fermenting. The interaction of the kiwi and the wheat yeast had a fluorescent effect. Very odd. the lumps at the top are actually the fermenting kiwis floating under the krausen. Once they were done fermenting, and they let off their trapped gas, they sank to the bottom.

157.JPG

How many kiwis did you use? Mine is chugging away nicely, though the green color is mostly gone aleady, as expected.

How many kiwis did you use? Mine is chugging away nicely, though the green color is mostly gone aleady, as expected.

Forgot I posted this (it didn't really glow, that was a joke).

I used 4# of kiwi in a 5 gallon batch. It was pretty decent, I don't know if you would identify the fruit flavor as "kiwi", but the flavor was definately there.

Here's some more pics. The last one is from Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing.

255.JPG
337.JPG
2011-06-22_232916.jpg

Anyone ever make a kiwi mead?

I would be going primarily after color, not flavor or aroma. I think a greenish mead would be passable as a Romulan Ale :D

Though, I'm aware of how colors often dull during fermentation...

Maybe throw a few mashed kiwis into a 1-gallon batch of show mead after fermentation is done?

What a rediculous waste of a perfectly good New Zealander.

I just recently started brewing and this is actually my first attempt at mead. Probably should have started off with regular mead, but meh...i like to go bold.

I did 3 lbs of honey, 3 lbs of mashed kiwi, and a starter tea made from chopped raisins, 2 limes, and a Earl Gray tea bag.

Was worried it would be too acidic and kill the yeast off, but its bubbling and churning nicely.

Gonna let that sit for a week, then separate the kiwi and move to secondary fermentation. Will probably let that sit till the end of November. Will share the results. I'm excited!

I am happy to report it turned out well. Dont think you can ever get an actual strong green color. Was more of a off yellow with a very very slight green hue. It is stronger than expected 13-14%. Racked 2x. Turned out very clear and clean. Semi-sweet, on the drier side, and a little tart (I should have waited for the kiwi to ripen...lesson learned), but not overpowering and has a great mouthfeel. The tea definitely added some tannin flavor.

Friends and family were all pleasantly surprised and are looking forward to future batches. Best advice I can offer for next time? Let the kiwi ripen...and maybe i would use oranges or clementines in my starter tea instead of the 2 lime next time.

Back