wl380 temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corbomite

Reaction score
In an effort not to post something that has been talked to death in the forum, I've looked around the forum for awhile and cannot find a specific answer.
I made a tweaked version of this orange honey hefe recipe and used, among other variations, wl 380 instead of 300 b/c I wanted less banana flavors. My temperature was around 19-20 C(~66-68 F)when I pitched, and I started getting bubbles from my blow off tube about 18-20 hours after pitching. I am freezing my wife in our house trying to keep it there but when I woke up this morning(about 36 hours after pitching) the temp had worked its way up to 22-23 C(~71-73 F).This wouldn't be a big deal but the room it is in smells like the morning after some sort of wild banana orgy.
I was curious if anyone else had experience with 380 at higher temps. I was hoping for something more like an apricot flavor with the orange I am adding at bottling.

heff yeast produce banana flavors and smells at higher temps like 22-23C. WLP320 American Heffewizen yeast produces very little clove or banana flavors.

Back