Keeping Homebrew Warm With no Electricity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaWes

Reaction score
I am going to start my first homebrew this weekend, I have no problem with the process, I have that down pretty good. The only thing I have a concern about is how to keep my homebrew warm once it's time to start fermenting.

The only place I have to put it is in the pantry in my kitchen, however there is no sort of electricity in there. During the night my house can get down to around 45-50 degrees, depending on how cold it is. I know what the optimum temperature levels are, I am just not sure how to keep it at that level.

I know you can put it in a fridge with an external thermostat, but I don't have one I can use. I have a mini fridge, but I believe it is to small to fit the carboy in.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Extension cord?

If there is a light in there you can get a screw in outlet thing that still lets you use your light.

there is nowhere else you can keep it, maybe in another closet? you could wrap it in blankets, you should be fine. for the first week of fermentation just keep some blankets on it, maybe 2-3

I keep my homebrew in an unheated closet which can get pretty cold in these Philadelphia winters. I have wrapped a sheet and an old sleeping bag around and that seems to keep it up to sufficient temps. This doesn't help much in the way of accuracy, but it's done the trick for me.

Sleeping bag.

I actually have a polar fleece "sleep slack" that I have used..Right now I have four cases of bottles that I am trying to get as close to 70 degrees to carb as possible.

Back