Dry Hopped Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpkill

Reaction score
This is my first post here, but I've been lurking around getting free advice from you all for a while. Here's a recipe for some cider that I just put into my secondary last night.

5gal of your favorite apple cider/juice
2lbs Dextrose
1pkg Cider House Select yeast
3oz Centennial Hops (2 week dry hop)

OG:1.060
FG: .998
ABV: 8%ish

This is my first time using this type of yeast, I generally use S04. This is also the first time I've tried dry hopping a cider. Thoughts?

I like the sound of it. I was thinking of doing something similar after I tried Woodchucks hopped cider. Personally, I dont want to dry it out so I was thinking of going with an ale yeast instead of a champagne yeast. Then again, Im looking to do two kinds of cider. #1 is to let it dry with a champagne yeast and see how the cascades come out, #2 is to use an ale yeast and add apple pie spice to it, thats for a different day. Have you had any experience with ale yeast in a cider? I havent but I'm looking to try it. Let me know how it turns out Im interested.

Use 1/2 oz for 3 days. Taste it. then go from there.
Overdoing the dry hops could result in something that you don't care for, so take it slow and experiment instead of going all in.

I like the sound of it. I was thinking of doing something similar after I tried Woodchucks hopped cider. Personally, I dont want to dry it out so I was thinking of going with an ale yeast instead of a champagne yeast. Then again, Im looking to do two kinds of cider. #1 is to let it dry with a champagne yeast and see how the cascades come out, #2 is to use an ale yeast and add apple pie spice to it, thats for a different day. Have you had any experience with ale yeast in a cider? I havent but I'm looking to try it. Let me know how it turns out Im interested.

Yes I'd say ale yeast is the way to go for a sweet cider. I used safale s-04 and added a homemade cinnamon extract, it turned out pretty darn good.

i dry hopped 1 oz for 2 days. it wasn't the best thing I'd ever produced. next time, i'm going to use .5 oz for 1 day and taste...

I actually enjoy a strong hop flavor. I know many don't, but the 3 oz at 2 weeks really gave it a kick, with a slow apple aftertaste.

i dry hopped 1 oz for 2 days. it wasn't the best thing I'd ever produced. next time, i'm going to use .5 oz for 1 day and taste...

How long did it sit in bottles before tasting, I know mine was a little on the bitter side until it sat for like a month.

I have a recipe for dry-hopped cider, it calls for Glacier hops. Any comments?

How long did it sit in bottles before tasting, I know mine was a little on the bitter side until it sat for like a month.

a week. your comment made me go get one and pop it in the fridge. we'll see how it goes :)

Good stuff, my main complaint with my cider is the low carb level, I should've batch primed instead of using carb tabs.

wow. I bottled the hopped stuff in very late march. It was so bad I called it a bottled April Fool's joke. Tried one last night after posting. All I can say is.. WOW. the difference is amazing. I may have to do another batch and just not touch it for 3 months again! Actually, I was considering an oaked/hopped cider. This may bump that attempt higher on the priority list. I"m currently working on an oaked cider... if that turns out well, then oaked/hopped, here we come.

wow. I bottled the hopped stuff in very late march. It was so bad I called it a bottled April Fool's joke. Tried one last night after posting. All I can say is.. WOW. the difference is amazing. I may have to do another batch and just not touch it for 3 months again! Actually, I was considering an oaked/hopped cider. This may bump that attempt higher on the priority list. I"m currently working on an oaked cider... if that turns out well, then oaked/hopped, here we come.

How did the Oaked Cider turn out?

Last october I did a 10L batch of dry cider dry-hopped with 40g of Citra hops for 7 days. Today tasted second last bottle. Hops are really nice in there. Cider itself went a bit too dry. Despite that it is still quite drinkable stuff :)

I just made this last night. I didn't use any dextrose because my SG was 1.048.
The airlock is not bubbling this morning.
Should it be?
I'm used to seeing the airlock have bubbles in it after making beer.
Any advice? Or are things okay?
Cheers[emoji482]

The fermentation on cider usually isn't as active as for beer. Instead of thick, lush krausen, often one will see only a thin layer of fizz, if that.

Airlocks aren't always the best gauge of if fermentation is taking place. Let it go for a bit, and take a gravity reading. That's about the only sure-fire way to know if things are working.

What's best hop to use in my cider for dry hopping? Columbus? Centennial per recipe? Want to taste hops a little bit, but not ruin it.

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking around getting free advice from you all for a while. Here's a recipe for some cider that I just put into my secondary last night.

5gal of your favorite apple cider/juice
2lbs Dextrose
1pkg Cider House Select yeast
3oz Centennial Hops (2 week dry hop)

OG:1.060
FG: .998
ABV: 8%ish

This is my first time using this type of yeast, I generally use S04. This is also the first time I've tried dry hopping a cider. Thoughts?

I too usually use S-04 but have been using Brewers Best Cider House Select lately. I have 5 gal. I made with S-04 last fall. Plus sugar S. G. 1.080 for an ABV close to 10%. It's been aging in glass all year. I just added 1-1/2 oz. Cascade hops in a cheese cloth bag. Gonna sample every few days and when I'm happy I'll keg & carb it.

2 days - 1-1/2 oz. Cascade hops in 5 gal. Dry S-04 cider

A little bitter. No hop smell. I like it. I'm gonna Let it ride.

What's best hop to use in my cider for dry hopping? Columbus? Centennial per recipe? Want to taste hops a little bit, but not ruin it.

If I ever make a hopped cider, I plan on using either Galena or Glacier hops.

I make a dry hopped cider that is very popular with my friends/family. I use store bought cider, 1 lb turbinado sugar, and ferment with Belle Saison dry yeast at up to 82 degrees. After fermentation I dry hop with 1.5 oz Nelson Sauvin for 3 days, cold crash and filter. I back sweeten with 2 cans frozen apple juice then force carb to 2.5 vol co2. It's dry but not too, and pick up some nice wine/grape flavors from the hops.

How do I know I've waited long enough without waiting too long? Started hopping Sat. Tested Mon. and Tues. The headspace is increasing, too. Should I worry?

How do I know I've waited long enough without waiting too long? Started hopping Sat. Tested Mon. and Tues. The headspace is increasing, too. Should I worry?

I find that most hops will start leaving a grassy flavor after about 3 days depending on the hop and temp you are hopping at. My pref is 3 days max @ fermentation temp. All in all though, it comes down to your taste/preference...

I dry-hop with pellets exclusively (so far) and have let them go 7 days. No grassy flavours. Maybe that's a whole-cone thing?

I dry-hop with pellets exclusively (so far) and have let them go 7 days. No grassy flavours. Maybe that's a whole-cone thing?

I use pellets also. Again, there are a lot of variables. What matters is what you like. No better way to learn than experimenting for yourself. YMMV. Have fun with it:mug:

Latest posts

Back