Baked wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
My stove pretty much sucks and bearly gets 3 gallons to a boil...

So, I just had this half baked idea.....what if I put my brew pot into the oven? It EASILY gets to 500*, why wouldn't this work?

I pitched the idea to my fiance and she said "no, it'll just evaporate." but doesn't water half to boil before it can evaporate?

It might be a PITA to make hop additions but would this work?

Thanks!

*I've got 3 gal of water in the oven right now to see if it'll work and figure out the boil off rate.....it's at 500*.

Sorry it won't work. The air in the oven doesn't transfer the heat as well as the flame directly on a metal pot. So even though the air is 500F all that heat energy does not get transfered to the wort or the metal of the pot.

I'm not sure if you live in an apartment and have rules against this (some do), but you might look into spending $50 on a turkey fryer. It usually comes with a 55000 btu burner and a 7.5 gallon pot. It makes a huge difference in you brews (full boils) and alleviates all of your stove issues.

Yup, didn't work...

Nope, I own a home. Just saving for an engagement ring at the moment!

Latest posts

Back