Will a starter increase cell count on Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaellman

Reaction score
I've spent the last three hours reading forums here trying to get an answer too two quick questions, without luck.

1) Will making a starter INCREASE the cell count of pitchable yeast with dry yeast packet (11.5g)?
2) Is it possible to pitch TOO MUCH yeast into a batch? Unrelated to the above, if I were to pitch three dry yeast packets into a 5 Gallon batch would it cause a negative outcome (other then the cost/waste of yeast)?

I've read the 5,000+ post about how you don't NEED too, or how it's already developed for pitching directly, etc,etc, etc. But I'm interested to know if it does, in fact, increase the cell count and if it can be ruined if I pitch too many cells into a batch. Thanks~

Dry yeast is ready to go. Most packets contain an adequate number of cells. Making a starter with dry yeast actually uses up the cells' reserves and results in weakened yeast.

I direct pitch my dry yeast, though many people recommend rehydrating the yeast prior to pitching.

1) Will making a starter INCREASE the cell count of pitchable yeast with dry yeast packet (11.5g)?

Yes but it is not recommended. Generally the packet would contain enough yeast for an average gravity beer, it is cheap if you need a second packet and you can then harvest the yeast after fermentation if you desire for later use. I have re hydrated small quantity(2g) of dry yeast and made a starter and stepped up to make batch of beer with success but only for experimental purpose.

2) Is it possible to pitch TOO MUCH yeast into a batch? Unrelated to the above, if I were to pitch three dry yeast packets into a 5 Gallon batch would it cause a negative outcome (other then the cost/waste of yeast)?

Yes it is possible to overpitch. Refer to Mr Malty pitching rate calculator to determine a recommended quantity of viable yeast to be pitched into your specific brew.
As to whether 3 packets into 5G would produce negative outcome would depend on the OG of the beer. A very heavy beer may in fact need up to 3 x 11g packs whereas a low gravity beer would need no more than one packet. As to whether there is a negative outcome would depend on what ester flavor you might be aiming for and that is a whole new discussion point.

You can make a starter, and I don't have the numbers in front of me for dry yeast. I think with good hydration, you get similar numbers on dry yeast as a vial. If that is true... wait.. just go to mrmalty.com and put in your yeast. (I always over think the answer rather then get at teh real question lol) Mrmalty.com
I ran some numbers and assuming your yeast is current and not old, for a typical beer (1.040-1.050) 1 pack of 11.5 gr is sufficent.

2. over pitching is possible. Under pitching is more common since we tend to just put in 1 when we should be doing 2 or at least 1.5 packets/vials of yeast. IF you over pitch it really depends on your yeast/beer. I've not seen good numbers on this aspect either, but over pitching is like making a starter. Beer from the starter is often off/full of yeast flavor. (depending on beer you are making and size of starter, you can pour the whole starter in, or might need to decant off the starter beer).
Anyhow, what happens is with more yeast, you generate less byproducts, but some amount of by product is desirable. If it is a Belgian, or a wheat, you should risk and under pitch by a little rather than an over. If it is a pale ale, or other 'clean' beer, it is harder to over pitch. Take a look at 'YEAST a practical guide to fermenation' by White and Zainasheff.

based on the numbers from mrmalty, I suspect that a 3 pack 11.5 grams (34.5gr) would make a weak 5 gallon starter not a 5 gallon finished beer.

If one packet doesn't have the number of yeast you need you can absolutely make a starter from one packet rather than use two. Keep in mind dry yeast (so I've read a few times at least) have lipids which reduce the need to aeration on the first generation. So even with a starter you shouldn't need aeration. I've used starters from dry yeast on big beers that needed more than one packet with great results.

Back