Leaky out post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaminpi3

Reaction score
I just transferred my pale ale to a keg. When I put the beer under pressure, beer began to leak out of the bottom of the out post. I have used the keg several times before with no trouble, the o-rings are in great shape (they were replaced before the last beer I put in the keg), and I made sure the post was on very tight. Any advice? Does anyone ever use teflon tape on their posts? Would that help?

The seal is made on the oring contacting the 2 mating surfaces. So they are not ok. You take it off and examine the oring, maybe try some keg lube. I am pretty sure the tape is not gonna work for you. examine the oring and dip tube seat for any issues.

Thanks! You were right. I stepped back and gave it some thought, and I remembered that when I was cleaning the keg, the bottom of the diptube didn't quite sit in the middle of the dimple at the bottom of the keg. It seemed to sit flush on the post, so I didn't worry about it at the time. Well, I decided that could be the issue, so I pulled the dip tube out and gave it a slight bend so that it would sit better at the bottom, and it works!! Luckily I was able to fix it without having to take the beer out. Thanks again.

Leaky out post

First thought was to recommend penis-cillin for your leaky out post but after reading would suggest taking the post off applying some keg lube and make sure you thread the post back on carefully. you may have striped the threads on the post and that is why it is not sealing.

Back