how to bottle only using a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
This will be my first brew coming up and I know this may seem like a dumb question, but if I don't have a bottling bucket( just starting out) and I don't have a 5 gallon secondary to hold my brew in order to bottle it, will just slowly stirring the priming sugar into the primary attempting to not disturb the yeast cake work well after 3-4 weeks in the primary? Or should I just go to home depot and pick up a bucket there? I'm keeping this on the cheap side until I know its a hobby I want to get interested in.

So the main question is.. Can you bottle only using your primary and no bottling bucket without getting too much yeast in the bottles?( I know there should be some)

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Patton

Go get a cheap bucket like I did, and you may even find a spigot there...you really don't want to bottle from primary or seconday, becasue in order to mix the priming solution thoroughly (so as not to under carb or have bottle bombs) you must stir or let a siphon flow mix the two together...If you tried that in the fermenter or secondary, you woud disturb all the stuff you patiently let settle to the bottom of the carboy or bucket.

A couple people on here evidently rack to a brew pot to mix their solutions and then use their siphon with bottlewand to fill from their..but in all honestly the spigot on the bottling bucket is soooo conventient....that's why you find the suggestion to use a bucket in all the books, and the fact the majority of us who bottle use them...

Just make sure the hardware store bucket is actually OVER 5 gallons...on mine it has a label that states the 5 gallons is the 3rd ring from the top of the bucket..about 2 inches down.

Here's some great bottling tips....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

You can get a real nice plastic carboy with a spig for under 15$ :)

I bought a spigot a couple of days ago from a LHBS and was wondering what the easiest way to get it seated on a curved bucket. I know this is probably going to come off as stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to seal on the curved surface of a bucket.. Thanks and pardon my ignorance.

The spigot has a flat flange it isn't curved? should I try and return it or what??
Patton

I bought a spigot a couple of days ago from a LHBS and was wondering what the easiest way to get it seated on a curved bucket. I know this is probably going to come off as stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to seal on the curved surface of a bucket.. Thanks and pardon my ignorance.

The spigot has a flat flange it isn't curved? should I try and return it or what??
Patton

All the one's I've seen are flat flanged as well.....The rubber gasket will conform to the shape of the bucket and seal you in nicely...

You're fine.

It doesn't really matter what brand you get, but FYI, mine is called the "Leaktite Multi-purpose 5 gallon container" I like it because it is translucent and it has gallon and half gallon measurements on it. Which is handy for me since I brew a lot of small 2.5 gallon batches as well as 5 gallons. The 5 gal mark is about 2 inches from the top, so there's less chance of spillage or sloshing while lifting.

Oh and it has a foam padded handle (5 gallons of liquid can be pretty heavy.)

I got it at lowes for 5 bucks IIRC.

Revvy, did you find your bucket local or did you order it? I've been looking for something simialr and no luck locally.

It was at my local Lowe's, right in amidst the other buckets, including the Lowe's version of the HD bucket...the trouble was none of the other bckets (like the lowes) said WHERE 5 gallons was on the bucket. You don't want on ewhere 5 gallons is level withthe top of the bucket...You'd never be able to lift it...unless I guess you sealed a lid on it.

I always siphon from Secondary into a 6.5g Plastic Fermenter (with spigot) and bottle from there. I previously add my priming sugar solution first and siphon on to it.

3/4 tsp corn sugar per bottle or you can get carbonation tabs

I agree, if you absolutely had to do it you could do it this way. This would allow you to get the sugar in there and not have to stir up your yeast cake. This is not an ideal method but it would work and give you carbonated beer without yeast everywhere.

i prime every bottle just to avoid bombs.A bit time consuming,But you get consistent carbonation in every one.
P.S. i bottle right out of my primary and am yet to have a bad batch...Trub is yummy :)

Back