covering my cooling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I am doing an extract brew this weekend. I am going to use a homemade turkey fryer to do a 7 gallon full boil. The problem is the fryer does not have a top. I know I don't want to cover during the boil but how important is it to cover it during the rapid cooling process? Anyone have any suggestions on a way to make a top using household items. Can I transfer the boiled wort into something else to cool it? I am very new at this so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have done only two home brews, but have not covered them when cooling. I am able to get the temp down to 80 in under 15 min, but have not had a problem with it yet.

+1 on foil. Putting the lid on the pot when it's cooling isn't really to make a seal or anything. Just to keep anything from falling into it, keeping the flies out, etc. A sheet of foil, or even a sanitized cookie sheet would be fine, I would think

i sometimes use a towel, it covers it and soaks up the steam so you get no drips back into your wort from a lid.

A restaurent supply store should carry a large lid that could be used to cover it.

I use a large tin foil pan (think turkey size) to cover my keggle when using the wort chiller and then a stock pot lid after I whirlpool

Latest posts

Back