Exceptional Mead on 1st Attempt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaeyama

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a few months since I last posted. Work is busy and life goes on, and not really much I can do while I have 7 gallons under bulk aging. ;)

Anyway, after a rather disappointing 6 gallon peach wine that ended up very tasty but "strangely" sparkly and somewhat sedimentary in the bottle (stupid wine conditioner :p ) -- at least I have 36 bottles of wine to add to pasta sauce -- as well as a 1 gallon attempt at a mixed berry wine (hopefully a few years of aging will reduce the pucker factor!?!), I struck the jackpot with a mead I started back in May of last year!!

I made enough to fill a 6 gallon carboy, a 1 gallon demijohn, as well as 750 ml. and 1.5 ltr. PET bottles (for top-up purposes). Because honey is very, very, very expensive here in Japan, I decided that I wanted to make a 1) large quantity of mead, 2) age it a long time, and 3) blend different honeys together for an interesting taste.

Each time I did a racking, I poured off the "dregs" into a plastic container and stored it in the fridge. (I used to throw away the dregs...but why the hell would I want to repeat THAT mistake??). A rather large yeast sediment has dropped out from the dregs and tonight I decided to do a taste test. Wow! Absolutely amazing taste...much better than any of the several commercial brands I have tried, and MUCH better than I had been expecting! I'll try to describe the taste laster. I'm planning on bottling at the end of February and if what I have tasted tonight is any kind of indication of what I can expect, I feel pretty excited and fortunate!

I spent the equivalent of about $300 USD for my honey (like I said, honey is really expensive here), and ended up combining some varieties I have never even heard of before: Linden, Beechwood Honeydew, "Hundred Flowers", Sumac, as well as Ilex integra (Japanese Holly).

The colour is a rich, but not deep, amber. No sediment is coming out of this final racking, and it looks like I'm going to get something very clear for bottling. The sweetness comes out, but is not cloying, and has a Manuka honey taste (I'm guessing this might be from the honeydew), with a slight "whiskey" fragrance. The alcohol is present but not like rocket fuel. There is absolutely no sparkle (thank goodness).

I was originally going to call it, "Rambo Bear Mead" (hey, Rambo 4 was out last year, and my wife likes teddy bears so it sounded like a good idea at the time). But I'll have to rename it, because I am expecting my first child (a daughter) at the end of February. We'll be naming her "Anika", so maybe something like, "Anika's Blend?" (suggestions appreciated!)

Anyway, as I am so proud of this batch, my own original recipe (heh...mostly just guesswork based on my earlier peach and berry batches, combined with lots of reading winepress / homebrewing / gotmead / winemaking forum posts) and notes is as follows:

7 imperial gallons - 4 in brewing bucket A, 3 in bucket B.
10.4 Kg honey used: 6.2 Kg in A, 4.2 in B* (added additional 500g of "Hundred Flowers" later to increase SG)
- Linden ("Bodaiju") - 300 g.: ( B )
- Beechwood Honeydew 0.5 kg.: ( A )
- Hundred Flowers ("Hyakka") - 7.2 Kg (+500 g. later): (4.8 Kg -> A) (2.4 Kg + 500 g. -> B )
- Sumac ("Haze") - 300 g.: ( B )
- Ilex integra aka Japanese Holly ("mochinoki") - 2.1 kg: (900 g. -> A ) (1.2 Kg -> B )
- Tannin powder - (1.5 tsp. -> A ) (1 tsp. -> B )
- Nutrient powder - (4 tsp. -> A ) (4 tsp. -> B )
- Acid Blend - (4 tsp. -> A) (3 tsp. -> B )
- Campden tablets - (6 -> A ) (5 -> B )
- SG: 1.100 -> A, 1.095 -> B
- Must started on May 10, 2008 @ 20:00 JST; temperature 18 C
- Yeast - DC-47 (1 pkg. per bucket)
- 2 starters made on May 11 @ 2:00 JST - (2 cups water; 150 ml. honey)
- pitched yeast starter on May 11 @ 11:00 JST
- Added 500 g. "Hundred Flowers" on May 14 @ 23:00 JST (bucket B )
- May 26 - racked to secondary (2 weeks, 1 day) @ 21:00 JST
- Bucket A - 1.070
- Bucket B - 1.090 - looks like stuck ferment
- Bucket A + some of Bucket B racked to 6 gallon carboy
- Bucket B racked to 1 gallon demijohn + 1.5 ltr. PET bottle
- May 28 - added yeast nutrient +/- 0.5 tsp. to 1-gallon jug
- Glass carboy vigorously fermenting as of May 30
- Jug - no activity
- June 1 - added nutrafine to jug and PET bottle
- fermentation on all 3 strong! June 4 @ 24:00 JST
- July 2 @ 21:00 JST - bubbling slowed to 1 / 5 sec.
- glass jug about 1 / 10 sec.
- July 10 @ 23:00 JST - fermentation has really slowed
- about 1 bubble / 10 sec.
- increased room temperature from 18 C -> 20 C
- August 1 @ 22:00 JST - increased room temperature from 20 C -> 22 C
- September 15 @ 22:00 JST - increased room temperature from 22 C -> 24 C
- October 5 @ 19:30 JST - racked 6 gallong carboy & 1.5 ltr. top-up
- note: black sediment in top-up bottle -- tannin??)
- turned off air conditioner -- room temperature around 26 C
- January 18 @ 15:00 JST - racked 6 gallon carboy & 1 gallon demijohn
- "rubber smell" present in 6 gallons ... contact with rubber stopper
- very sweet smell for 1 gallon!
- January 28 @ 20:30 JST - tonight's taste test!

When I go to bottle, I will determine FG and post an update here. I am slightly worried about that rubber smell in the carboy, but I certainly didn't detect it in the dregs so I might be okay. As they say, aging solves those kinds of issues. :)

Updates to follow...any comments / suggestions / criticism welcome!

One suggestion: PICTURES! I would love to see how this looks, I like the idea of a deep(ish) amber colored mead.

You took excellent notes, that will do wonders for you in the future.

I, too, have made only 1 mead ([thread=50201]Malkore's not so ancient orange mead[/thread]), and it also turned out great. I will definately do another, probably a dry show mead or cyser.

One suggestion: PICTURES! I would love to see how this looks, I like the idea of a deep(ish) amber colored mead.

You took excellent notes, that will do wonders for you in the future.

As requested, here is a photo of my mead in final bulk aging.

000011.jpg

I am slightly worried about that rubber smell in the carboy, but I certainly didn't detect it in the dregs so I might be okay. As they say, aging solves those kinds of issues. :)

Updates to follow...any comments / suggestions / criticism welcome!

I've gotten a "rubber stopper" smell & taste in mead/melomel & I've determined (in my case) it came from using wildflower honey. Everything I made with the wildflower honey had it, anything I made without it did not. The good news (for me at least) is that it does indeed go away with aging. Regards, GF.

That looks wonderful.....

I've never had mead and am throwing my first one together tomorrow.
That is exactly the color I am hoping to end up with.

Congrats! :mug:

Yaeyama? Well if you're talking Japan then, howdy neighbor! My mom was from Kohama. I was born on Okinawa. I spent a couple of summers on Kohama when I was young. What island are you on?

Anyway, your mead looks fantastic. Are you about ready to bottle?

Beautiful!!

Now I'm inspired. I've been kicking around reading these threads for far too long. This weekend may be the weekend I get my batch going.

I haven't gotten around to bottling yet! So, it looks *identical* to the photos I posted back in February. I had planned on calling this, "Anika's Blend" and bottling it around the time of my first daughter's birth (February 26) but I guess I missed that.

I need to get it done before June 20 (1st day of Summer), so I can still call it "Anika's Blend - bottling Spring 2009". ;)

The only reason I haven't gotten around to this yet is, I need to make sure this is completely degassed and that is a bit of a pain to take care of.

Yaeyama? Well if you're talking Japan then, howdy neighbor! My mom was from Kohama. I was born on Okinawa. I spent a couple of summers on Kohama when I was young. What island are you on?

I'm in Tokyo, but I have some land in Ishigaki. Was planning on retiring to that region, but it doesn't look like it is likely to happen. :( You should go back for a visit, btw...every island, including Kohama, is amazing (not sure about Hateruma -- haven't been there yet).

Yes, I should. I have family on both Kohama and Ishigaki. I hear that they are spectacular now, and that Kohama is a resort island! A far cry from the poor farming community I remember it to be. My uncle came to visit me some years ago. He had made a small fortune raising and selling beef to the resorts now there.

Do keep us posted on how this turns out. :)

Well, the pictures look great and long bulking ageing is not a problem.
May I suggest "Anika's Gift"?

Did final racking last night. Going to finally bottle this in a month. :)

Back