suggestions for additions to pumpkin ale kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titletowngirl

Reaction score
Hey, anyone out there have any suggestions for pumpkin preparation and/ or anything else you would recommend throwing in my Midwest pumpkin ale kit brew?

I've never tried that kit, so can't comment on what it might need. As for pumpkin prep...I think I used 4lbs of canned pumpkin in the mash. I cooked it in a cake dish for 30 minutes at 325, then added it directly to the mash.

I did what Suthrncomfrt did and baked and mashed the pumpkin in a partial mash. I baked at 350 for 45 minutes until the top started caramelizing a bit. This made a gummy mess in the partial mash and was a real mess that strained my equipment, patience, and process to the limit. But it was worth it, as the finished beer has about the right amount of pumpkin flavor and a beautiful burnt orange color.

As to the spices, they say 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of nutmeg. I added 1.5 tsp of "pumpkin pie spice" (no nutmeg) at flameout with 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. After primary, it tasted just right- nice subtle spicing. I'm afraid that nutmeg can be a bit overwhelming, so to my taste, 1/2 tsp was right. Your taste may differ. Since I haven't bottled yet, I am considering a 1 tsp addition of no nutmeg pumpkin spice in a spice tea at bottling. I am concerned that the spices may fade by halloween, so I am looking for a little boost for the two month conditioning.

I just finished this kit and I'm bottling it today! I used 90 oz of Libby's Pumpkin puree and baked it at 325 for 1 hr. When that was done, I scooped it into a grain bag and steeped it with my specialty grains. It does give a bright orange color!

I did a pumpkin ale kit and my kit said to add the pumpkin puree to the strike water. So I did that. First taste will be next week when I check gravity and probably rack to secondary for a month.

following this, I am expecting my midwest pumpkin kit in the mail today. I have read some other recipes and I want to add on some other additions as well. I had planned on the 60oz of puree pumpkin. Would like to also try that pumpkin spice. Still investigating my final recipe. I am having an issue locating the pumpkin Puree. I was at safeway all they have is pumpkin pie filling, which i am assuming is not what i want. I want pure pumkin, no additives. where are you purchasing your Puree?

Back