Stout Cider Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RascalKing

Reaction score
I am just experimenting and my wife challenged me to make a snakebite in a bottle. I did some research and found online that adding apple juice to the wort will be the best way to creat an apple flovor to a beer. I have a Murphys Irish Stout clone with WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast and 2 gallons of Organic, Unfiltered, Unsweetened Gala Apple Juice. I figured 3 gallons of stout wort ( i usually make 3 gallons of wort then dilute with 2-2.5 gallons of H2O) and 2 gallons of juice. Does anyone have any experience with this type of brewing style?

I would make a stout scaled down to a 3 gal batch, and let that attenuate a few days before adding the AJ. In some cases having too many simple sugars added too early reduces the conversion of the complex sugars from the wort. Also by scaling down your stout recipe you're making it more like a real mixed snakebite instead of a high gravity stout with some apple flavor.

I was kind of thinking a high gravity apple stout sounded good. Stout for me, high gravity for the lady:ban:. anyways, i just pitched it so wish me luck. The OG was around 75, so hopefully the yeast makes it through. If not, lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back