What varieties to grow???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I'm wanting to start growing hops this month. I want to get 3-4 different varieties. Which ones would be good? I was thinking, northern brewer, centennial, and cascade. What are your thoughts?

Looking at your name, I would do the following:

Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, and Amarillo.

You got some good bittering and some good aroma, you get the whole shebang!

I don't think you can get Amarillo anywhere. It's a proprietary cultivar. How about Zeus? Freshops has them. Chinook, Zeus, Centennial and Cascade will give you some options. Then again, a combination of 70% Cascade and 30% CTZ is said to produce something very similar to Centennial, so you might want to drop that for Goldings, if you want to brew a few English IPAs as well.

Your list sounds good... I just ordered some replacements for my deer ravaged ones.. freshops.com and they arrived Fri!!!:rockin:

Cascade is a must.... Great yields and worthy of garden space

Fuggle is great for ales but can be hard to grow, low yield too

Hallertauer is the german super hop but again low yields and harder to grow

Try to stick with the hybreds..They tend to have higher yield and better diease resistance.. If there isn't a history of issues in your location then you should be fine.. Most hops will grow like weeds given minimal care and if you prep the area properly.. IF you have the space then by all means grow your own, the plants are pretty and make great border plants, even if you don't harvest them.. I'm a lazy, lazy guy I'm all for work free plants...LOL

Cascade, Centennial and Northern Brewer are all good choices.

Nugget is my choice for a bittering hop, although CTZ, Chinook, Galena or Magnum each have their proponents - all are good choices. Choose your favorite and go with that.

I would choose Willamette if you like English hops, and Mt. Hood if you want a noble hop.

Fuggle is great for ales but can be hard to grow, low yield too

In my experience, Fuggle is second only to Cascade for yield and ability to put out shoots everywhere.

Latest posts

Back