Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
I will have my keezer finished soon, but in the meantime I am trying to fill all my bottles. I have finally taken it upon myself to buy ingredients and make beer from recipes, rather than kits. I have been using 7/8 cup of corn sugar, and some recipes call for 1 and 1/4 cup of DME. Does it REALLY matter? Or will one provide a different "style" of carbonation? Perhaps a dumb question, and I have read threads that people use even table sugar for priming. My 1st "recipe" batch, had a few that were flat. Perhaps, those bottles weren't sealed good enough or maybe my priming sugar wasn't swirled enough, cause I used 7/8's cup of corn sugar from my local brew supply store. Advice? Suggestions? I thank you in advance.

Different amounts of sugar will provide different levels of carbonation, and different beer styles call for varying levels. The type of sugar matters too, such as corn vs cane vs dme.

Different amounts of sugar will provide different levels of carbonation, and different beer styles call for varying levels. The type of sugar matters too, such as corn vs cane vs dme.

I am assuming you would suggest to follow the recipe then? Rather than just using corn sugar in the same amount for everything? Is there a resource that you can provide that will give some information on what is "suggested" for certain beer types? I have done 70 gallons since Feb. and I have a few more to go before the end of the year. Feb. was my first batch, so I have been busy.

Back