Fermentation in a Corny...Any pics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
Does anybody have any pics of cornies being used for fermentation? I just got a freezer last night for lagering and plan on using cornies to ferment in to utilize more of the space. Cant for the life of me figure out how i will get the co2 out.

Use the gas in post, and stick a hose on the end of a valve. Put the end of the hose in a jar of water or sanitizer. I have not done this, but I've thought about it a bit since I currently have an excess of cornies.

If you have the nut style relief valve in the lid you can just unscrew it and use a stopper and airlock.

I've also removed the air connect and jammed a piece of hose over the threads. Seemed to work well.

jay075j said:
MoreBeer.com has already solved this problem. They have a lid with a 1/2" FPT welded on top. Either you can use their suggestion and put a hosebarb on it with a blow-off tube, or you can also use a #2 drilled stopper with a 3-piece airlock.

Here's the link:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18211/102295

Those babies are bad ass! Too bad I missed out on them when they had them for $19.95 during one of their midnight "Woot-esqe" sales.

I have a keg that one of the posts broke off of and I just stick a bung in there with an airlock on it. Not that I recommend breaking a keg just to do that with, but if you ever have one break on you it is an idea.

I did a makeshift one by switching the gas and product posts and then hooked a picnic tap up to it. Locked it open and stuck it in a bucket of water

You might want to look into Keg Pasties. You take the poppit out and this silicone thing fits over the gas out fitting and you can attach an airlock.

Pretty brain dead simple and easy to clean and sanitize.

All you have to do is go to the hardware store, buy a 1/2" hose and a $.15 hose clamp. pull the gas side poppit off the keg put the hose on the threaded post and drop the other end into a bucket of water and you are set.

John

Latest posts

Back