First AG - Peanut Butter Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidz91

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been inactive for a long time with regards to homebrewing. Decided that my first brew of 2013 would be an all-grain brew.
Chose to do a 1 gallon brew (4 litres) due to being a poor student and not having the capacity to accomodate a full 5 gallon batch! Adjust accordingly.

Grain Bill:
0.800kg Maris Otter
0.150kg Roasted Barley
0.100kg Flaked Oats

Hops:
10g Goldings @ 60 minutes

Adjuncts:
340g jar of "Less Fat" Peanut Butter @ 60 minutes

Expected OG of 1.054 & FG of 1.013, ABV 5.5%
Actual OG of 1.060 & FG of 1.030, ABV 4.3%

A few notes on this brew; firstly, I mashed way too hot, something like 165F. I'm expecting this is why the FG didn't get down all the way due to unfermentable sugars. Secondly, it only produced 5 pints due to a tonne of sediment in the demi-john. I attribute this to the coarse muslin I was using (BIAB method). Thirdly, there was a 1cm thick fatty layer on the top of the ferment which may have hindered fermentation.
However . . .
I racked the beer after 6 days to get rid of the sediment and fatty layer, and it looked pretty good. 10 days fermenting altogether, maybe a bit short, but I was eager to bottle.
Samples of the beer before bottling were really good! I had a bad cold I could still taste the smoothness of this stout, some subtle butty characteristics and what seems like an awesome first time AG brew. Bottled with maple syrup because it was almost pancake day.

Points for next time:
I've already invested in a nylon bag for next time. Also have an aquarium heater to keep things warmer than they have been. Next up, a Modern American Pilsner . . . :rockin:

Latest posts

Back