In San Francisco for a stretch. Any good beer out here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
So as the thread suggests I'm in San Francisco (San Bruno) for work for a stretch over the next couple months. I'm looking for some good local beers or brew pubs, and hoped some of you gents & ladies could help me out.

I definitely want to make it out to Chico when I have a day off to hit up Sierra Nevada Brewery.

BTW, I'm a fan of Brown/amber/APA's.

Go to the Anchor brewery, they usually do a cool little tour with tastings. See if you can taste their 'Old Potrero' whiskey, it's awesome and hard to find.

Oh, also, you can take a road trip up to Petaluma to the Lagunitas Brewery(about 30 miles north of SF on the 101)
Pyramid in Berkeley has a brewery tour and full restaurant with some pretty good food (about 15 miles across the Bay Bridge)
Russian River Brewing Co. up in Santa Rosa also has a full restaurant (about 50 miles north of SF off the 101)
Blue Frog Grog and Grill is a fun little micro brewpub in Fairfield (about 30 miles north east across the Bay Bridge)

I'll add more as I think of them.

Welcome to the bay area :)

Was just down there for the Phish shows. My favorite bar was Toronado's located in the Haight.

Tons of taps, lots of great beer!

PlinY!

Awesome. I didnt know Russian River brewing co was close. Pyramid makes some great beer too. Thanks for the infoz

Toronado!!!! Bar tenders a snobs, but beer is fantastic. Someone on this forum recommended it to me last time I was in SF. Best selection of beer I've ever seen.

Note: it's a hole in the wall but well worth it :D

Russian River. About 30m above SF. IPAs and Sour beers. Love love love. Get the sampler platter (about 16 different beers).

I think this is a must as these beers are some of the greatest our country has to offer, and are not available most places.

Zeitgeist
Rogue

It's about an hour and a half from SFO (San Bruno) to RRBC (downtown SR) depending on traffic.

In SF, there's Toronado (the hard-core beer geek spot - don't miss it), Magnolia (great brewpub/restaurant, IMO), 21st Amendment, Monk's Kettle. Zeitgeist always has local stuff, and it's a fun (if crusty) spot on a nice day. Anchor tour is great if you can get in, and lots of people have recommended the Prohibition Brewery tour, too (I've never been).

Out of town ... uh, what everyone else said.

There are also some great beer stores here, too. City Beer Store and Healthy Spirits are my favorites.

All of the above, although 21st Amendment in cans that i've had was pretty bad (could have been an infected batch). Toronado is stumbling distance from my friends house and the neighborhood is much improved since I stumbled around that neighborhood. You might still find some old hippies floating around.

Off topic, but Mings in San Bruno on San Mateo Ave has some good food. If it is still the same owners as 10 years ago then you'd be happy with it.
My favorite all time Chinese restaurant is Brandy Ho's in San Francisco and plenty of good places near by for beer.

I do miss SF, maybe someday I can move back.

Back