NASA to bomb the Moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
Since I am a huge science geek I am literally thrilled about this NASA project. They are about to send a missile aimed at one of the craters on the dark side of the Moon. Another spacecraft will collect dust raised from the explosion and look for signs of water on the Moon. Cool stuff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/06/nasa-lcross-mission-to-bo_n_3 11038.html

You can watch it live on NASA TV:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

A live NASA TV Broadcast is planned for the LCROSS impacts starting at 6:15 a.m. EDT/3:15 a.m. PDT, Oct. 9, on NASA TV and www.nasa.gov/ntv.

Did not read the link.

I had heard tho' that no explosion is supposed to take place. That the mere impact of the projectile is intended to cause enough disturbance.

The other side is complaining tho'. And not taking into consideration the number of natural impacts the moon endures on a "regular" basis.

Its really to wage war on the moon people who have been hiding on the dark side for centuries. Dont believe the exploration crap! We invaded Mars with the Mars landing years ago, then the moon people allied with them. This is gonna be WWIII or as the Moon People call it ....... Moon War I.

Did not read the link.

I had heard tho' that no explosion is supposed to take place. That the mere impact of the projectile is intended to cause enough disturbance.

The other side is complaining tho'. And not taking into consideration the number of natural impacts the moon endures on a "regular" basis.

Fooking Moon huggers! Next thing is they will be calling moons "Space kittens"

I thought that India already confirmed that there was water on the moon? Are we bombing the moon cause we don't trust them???

Probably... we'll also take credit for this one...

Moon people? WTF?

I thought that India already confirmed that there was water on the moon? Are we bombing the moon cause we don't trust them???

Probably... we'll also take credit for this one...

Moon people? WTF?

There is no water on the moon until America declares it to be true. All those space programs that other countries have are just smoke and mirrors. ;)

Would Lunatics be better? I’m telling you they are crazy! Tell me another Moon people who waited so long in hiding to retake the Earth from us. In truth we invaded this planet and took it from the civilized & peaceful Dinosaurs who were at war against each other after they drove off what we call the Moon People today.

LOL ... I should write for one of those grocery line magazines! :mug:

Hey, I love the Moon, no Moon bombing.:(

If they blow up the Moon, what will I howl at?

Watch out Gnome, they got a missile aimed at you . . .

mooning.jpg

Edit: OOPS! Wrong moon. :p

OMG! I can't believe they are doing this! Surely there must be other ways of finding out if there is water on the moon without blowing holes all over it!

Leave it to the American Military to find an excuse to launch weapons wherever they can. When will they learn that peace is the answer?

I won't be able to look up at the moon on a clear summer night without thinking about how they are destroying all that is beautiful and natural. Soon the moon will be littered with debris, and all because they want to find out if there is water there. Who cares??

Why all the interest in water? Why not send a probe to search out teh naked ladies?

If it were found that a probe had entered a nekkid lady, then NASA would get all the funding it ever wanted!

They are doing what?? Hey guys.....mmmm I got to go, I'll try and keep in touch but I got something I need to take care of ASAP. :mad:

Launch a Rod of God at it. It's a tungsten rod and liek Gila said. No Explosion is needed to make a large impact. They just had a thing on Discovery tow nights ago out space wars that walked about them.

Oh Noes, don't know a hole in the moon!!! Why should me try and learn about space I mean seriously, what have we actually gotten from space exploration? :rolleyes:
Take out all our satellites and see how well our country fairs. Space exploration is necessary for progress and it's just plain awesome.

What is so great about water on the moon anyway?

Launching water from the Earth to supply explorers, etc is a trifle expensive. If water is available in quantity, it can also be cracked for hydrogen and oxygen. Which makes great rocket fuel.

It's a war against Cat-Women of the Moon! "Ever-lastingly bueutiful and without men for centuries!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Moon Huggers. It has no atmosphere.

Go out somewhere in the country and you will see like 20 shooting stars every night. That's 20 meteoroids burning up in our atmosphere! The moon's used to it!

What if they find cheese instead of water?
What if the moon people's 'Star Wars Defense' system shoots it down before impact?
What if they under-estimate the impact and it splits the moon?
How much of the collected ice would it take to make a 5 gal batch?

What if they find cheese instead of water?
What if the moon people's 'Star Wars Defense' system shoots it down before impact?
What if they under-estimate the impact and it splits the moon?
How much of the collected ice would it take to make a 5 gal batch?

Hmmmm.....rainwater beer, moonwater beer? Bet that would sell.

I'd think it was cool if it weren't for the fact that 30+ years ago we could send people to the moon and now all we can do is play loop de loop around the earth in the space shuttle.

The sad state of NASA, or more appropriately the sad state of the American public that has given up on space exploration really pisses me off. In the late 1950's and 1960's the space program touched off an education revolution in schools that went on for awhile, now we have "no child left behind". Looks like we are all going to be left behind, since we don't go anywhere else.

Sorry for the semi-rant here, but so much good has come from space exploration and we need to see how much more we can benefit from it.

It's not like we don't have plenty of money to spare... BOMBS AWAY!!

Amen, McKBrew! Well said. I remember when I was attending a one-room country schoolhouse in 1960, we were all still nervous that Sputnik had beat us. Where is the great push to accomplish anything now?

Amen, McKBrew! Well said. I remember when I was attending a one-room country schoolhouse in 1960, we were all still nervous that Sputnik had beat us. Where is the great push to accomplish anything now?

Yea, that's what we need! A good old fashioned nuclear standoff! That'll get our butts in gear!

Next thing you know there will be radiation in space.

We need to start a protest to prevent the introduction of radiation in space.

As far as space exploration it is the absolute most important human endeavor. It is only through space exploration that the human race stands any chance of survival. At some point human life will become unviable on this planet. Unless we have successfully colonized other star systems we will cease to exist, along with every accomplishment of the human species.

Granted, aliens are constantly stopping by and successfully taking human dna samples through the rectums of unsuspecting country rubes. But do you really want our species to be perpetuated from the inbred extra chromosonal clone of Bubba from Nipplesore, Arkansas?

Its really to wage war on the moon people who have been hiding on the dark side for centuries. Dont believe the exploration crap! We invaded Mars with the Mars landing years ago, then the moon people allied with them. This is gonna be WWIII or as the Moon People call it ....... Moon War I.

Nuh-uh. it's SSWI- Solar System War I.

And in doing so, we are gonna kill all the Amazon Women On The Moon. Bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is it then....How long till the moon fallout comes back to earth and starts the zombiepocalypse? Three day or so? So by Monday we'll be knee deep in zombie bodies fighting our way to Walmart, or we'll be yelling "Braiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins."

Nice knowing y'all. let's try to keep in touch as long as the electricity and internet stays up. Remember he who brews the "magic barley water" gets the most nublile slaves. :D

Back