Gelatin in the Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackHat

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of mead last night. It had been sitting in the secondary for over 4 months and was still pretty hazy. I would have kept it in the secondary longer, but I'm moving soon and I would rather move bottles than a full carboy. To speed up clarification, I threw in a little bit of gelatin finings into the bottling bucket to let them clarify as they bottle condition. Afterwards, I looked online and I've found that gelatin is used in the secondary and only for a few days. Will letting the mead sit on it in the bottle affect the flavor at all? Will it even affect clarity?

Well, you'll have some gelatin blobs at the bottom of the bottles, I guess.

My experience with ciders, wines and meads is to never bottle anything that isn't perfectly clear and not dropping any lees after several months in the carboy. It won't hurt the mead, but you'll have some sediment and stuff in the bottles, and when you move the bottle, it'll resuspend the sediment. It's not going to ruin the taste, though, it's just an aesthetics thing.

Back