Belgian Tripel finished with Brett B question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natasatan

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of my Tripel recipe recently that got split into 2 five gallon carboys. Both are fermenting with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes. ABV will be around 9.8 when done with secondary. I bottle using corn sugar and adding more yeast (Nottingham Dry Yeast). Results come out perfect. But this time I want to finish 1 carboy with Brett B. Need opinions on if I should add the Brett into the carboy during secondary or if I should use the Brett instead of the Nottingham at bottling time.

I usually do my primary ferment and then rack to a carboy and add the brett. Let it go for a few months and bottle. Works for me. It also gives it time to be totally finished so you do not risk over carbing or bottle bombs.

Definitely add it in secondary and leave it alone for a few months until the gravity stabilizes.

Yes. I guarantee it. every brett beer ive done has had no issues carbonating

After a few months in secondary with Brett, will there be enough Bret still in suspension to bottle without additional yeast?

Agree with m00ps. I never add extar yeast at bottling and at times have gone 5-6 months. Never had one not carb up.

FWIW I sometimes just put Orval dregs in the bottling bucket and skip the secondary (depending upon space available). But I don't carb to the max and I periodically drink a bottle to check carbonation levels. It's interesting to taste the Brett getting more pronounced over a period of several months.

Back