Thanks for the AIDS, Starbucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ha

hahahahaha

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about putting that 5 cents to something useful, like bailing out all those that can't afford their homes :rolleyes:

And it's only on three seasonal drinks. Only one or two of which sound at all drinkable. Howard Schultz is a jackass.

And it's only on three seasonal drinks. Only one or two of which sound at all drinkable. Howard Schultz is a jackass.

I dont think Howard Schultz is the problem here, he is just profiting off the millions of jackasses who feel the need to pay $6.50 for a $0.05 cup of coffee. I also have the feeling that these are the same people who listen to that sanctamonious prick Bono and will think that this is "a step in the right direction in the war against AIDS!" ;)

I dont think Howard Schultz is the problem here, he is just profiting off the millions of jackasses who feel the need to pay $6.50 for a $0.05 cup of coffee. I also have the feeling that these same people who listen to that sanctamonious prick Bono and will think that this is "a step in the right direction in the war against AIDS!" ;)

You can say all you want about Bono being totally self absorbed and all of that and you would be right, but you cannot take away the fact that he IS doing good things for the world. Same with Oprah

Not going to read it but I should imaging it is getting more money to needy victims.
As long as the majority is not wasted on administration of the scheme and wages then who cares.

Not me.

You can say all you want about Bono being totally self absorbed and all of that and you would be right, but you cannot take away the fact that he IS doing good things for the world. Same with Oprah

But, let's see Bono, Oprah, and the rest of their self-congratulatory, holier-than-thou crowd do this kind of thing WITHOUT issuing a press release first.

Also, why does Starbucks have to tie their contribution to something that's going to make them MORE money in the long run ? Why can't they just donate $X million, and just be done with it ?

But, let's see Bono, Oprah, and the rest ot the self-congratulatory, holier-than-thou crowd do this kind of thing WITHOUT issuing a press release first.

You are right, but who gives a ****? I don't care if these people are being generous for selfish reasons (if that makes sense). Actions speak louder than words. Plus they know that there are people out there that idolize them and will donate/work to help these causes also.

Why not come out and say "We will donate all the profit from these drinks to...."? If I was in Starbucks (rare as it is, I usually just get black coffee), this might entice me to get a Peppermint Mocha Twist.

By saying "We will donate $0.05 per sale...." it is almost insulting....they keep the rest of the $3.50 profit on the $4.00 drink.

I don't necessarily like Bonno, but he is doing something productive with his time and money. But, no thanks Starbucks, I will give my $4.00 directly to RED and make some coffee at home.

I dont think Howard Schultz is the problem here, he is just profiting off the millions of jackasses who feel the need to pay $6.50 for a $0.05 cup of coffee. I also have the feeling that these are the same people who listen to that sanctamonious prick Bono and will think that this is "a step in the right direction in the war against AIDS!" ;)

Oh, Howard Schultz is a jackass for many more reasons beyond this. LOL

This particular instance doesn't do Starbucks much justice, however before we bash them too hard we might want to do some research and see just how much they do donate to various charities throughout the year. I'm bettng their charitable contributions are on par with similar corporations.

Unlike my pro-Walmart ranting, I'm not going to go too far to defend Starbucks. I used them a lot in Hawaii, because there were literally no alternatives. Their coffee is substandard 99% of the time and their prices are insane. In WA state we have several small espresso stands that I would much rather give my business to. Prices are cheaper, coffee and service are better. It's been months since I've had Starbucks Coffee. Now if Walmart opened espresso stands..... :D

Several years ago he turned down $15 million donated to his favorite charity in exchange for commercial use of his songs. Artistic integrity he called it and I support his right to do this.
But when he went in front of Congress shortly thereafter asking for my tax dollars to be used for his favorite charity it really chaffed my ass

wow, Bono bashing? I thought he parted the waters, cured the black plague, blah blah blah.
I'm glad I have found a place to say I think Bono is a phony. Quit talking & get back to singing. Same goes for the DIxie Chunks, Toby Keith & Oprah WInfrey and any other "star" who chooses to bloviate about something. Shut up & keep doing what made you famous.

/rant off

Edit: Wrote that last little epistle before I read page two, but I still stand by what I said.

I'm with you zac! I think all these rich celebs who all of a sudden act like they care about the less fortunate as long as they get their photo-op should shut the hell up!

As for Starbucks, I couldn't care less what they do with their money. I happen to like their coffee and at $2.10 for a large (thats what I order) coffee, its quite competitive with Dinkin Donuts which to me tastes a half step above McDonalds coffee. I wouldn't pay $4.00 and up for a coffee drink but I don't give a crap if other people do.

The number one goal for any company is to? kids? Anyone?

Maximize Profits...

Maybe people should learn to just not get Aids.

Starbucks is a company who has the right to maximize profits, if they chose to do it this way, fine with me.

I dont drink coffee so its a moot point with me, but what the heell, any chace to lash out at all the folks who think just because we like them as artists that we agree with their ideas. Chuck Norris, Barbra Walters, Jane Fonda, Tom Cruise et all.. They all suck.

Bono does'nt part the waters and cure the plague....where the hell have I been ???

Why are you all complaining? Just dont go to Starbucks and buy your coffee somewhere else. Not like you are forced to spend money there. Plenty of other coffee shops. Don't understand the problem. What's the next thing? Complaining about McDonald's having those programs for kids in need? geeee guys c'mon :)

In my not so humble opinion, Bono needs to STFU. I don't buy anything from Starbuck's, the little Mom & Pop place down the street actually makes BETTER COFFEE & has BETTER SERVICE, not to mention BETTER PRICES. Now if Starbuck's went all female & topless, hhhmmmmmm...

"Now if Starbuck's went all female & topless, hhhmmmmmm..."

Every man has his price!!!!

Back