SMaTH Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyqik

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY 3711
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days 77-74F
Additional Fermentation
7-14 day bottle conditioning
Tasting Notes
Dry, well-carbonated (after 7 days), spicy yeast flavors supported by some bitterness
This is a very simple saison I brewed to try 3711 for the first time and to take advantage of the stable 74-77F temperatures in my basement during a hot spell in Boston. I was originally going to make this a Belgian Pils and Saaz SMaSH brew, but I remembered that I had an oz of cascade in the freezer that needed using up, so I threw them in as bittering hops. After 7 days carbing at 70F, this beer is already nicely carbed and tasting good, even though the yeast hasn't fully settled in the bottles.

3711 is definitely a beast of a yeast, and took this down to 1.004 in a week, with the last 0.002 coming off over 2 weeks at 74F. I'm not set up to do starters, so I didn't bother for this 5.5 gal batch, and my tap water was warmer than I would have liked, so I didn't chill the wort below 75F before pitching.

Recipe:
Water - Boston tap water, 1/4 Campden tablet, 1 tsp of Burton water salts to up the minerals a little (closest I had in stock for the required adjustments for an all pale mash)
10 lb Belgian pils

Mash for 60 mins at 150F

Fly-sparged for 7.1 gal pre-boil volume at 1.044

Boil for 60 mins
1 oz Cascade (AA 5.5%) - 60 mins
1 oz Saaz (AA 2.8 %) - 20 mins
1 Whirlfloc - 15 mins
1 oz Saaz (AA 2.8 %) -5 mins

Chill to 75F.
5.5 gal into fermenter

Pitch 1 smack pack of WY 3711 and ferment at 75F ambient (fell to 72F after 2 weeks, fermenter temps from 77 to 74 F) for 3 weeks.

Carb to 3 vols CO2 - 6 oz corn sugar for bottling.

Back