how long to lager with WLP 820?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltman

Reaction score
I brewed an o-fest back in early October and racked into a secondary around 10/15/12. Prior to transfer I did a d-rest for about 36 hours at about 66 degrees F (ferment temp was about 56 deg F). Its been at 36-ish since 10/17 and still had a noticeable diacetyl flavor/slickness.
I figured hoping it would be ready for Christmas/new years but I don't see that happening at this point. Any ideas/past experience?

I lager until I'm happy with the taste and appearance. That said it's going to be tough to get the diacetyl out of it at 36. I usually don't start lagering until after there is no diacetyl. Would warming up the beer help? Maybe someone here has tried it.

I'm still pretty new at brewing lagers, but it is my understanding that you shouldn't starting lagering until all diacetyl is removed.
You will definetly want to warm it back up, and you may have to krausen the beer, or add some fresh, vigorous yeast to remove the diacetyl, then restart the lagering step.

Back