Bending Stainless Steal tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MgMt_Home_Brew

Reaction score
I ordered a 3 foot section of stainless steel tubing to make a new dip tube for my mashtun (and HLT) and I was wondering how I should go about getting the 90 degree bend in it. I will need to go from my ball valve through my false bottom.

The tubing is from McMaster-Carr and it's part number 89895K155. My thought was to build a mold where I could put the tube in and then use the leverage of the pipe to bend it.

My concerns are crimping the tube or cracking it. Should I heat it? are the side walls going to be too thick?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Its annealed so it will bend, but you will need a tool or a die of some sort to keep it from crimping.

I use .030 wall tubing and it takes some effort with a good bending tool to start the bend.

You will almost certainly kink it if you try to bend a 90 without the walls being supported. Hardly worth buying a tube bender for a single piece but you may be able to rent one from a local tool rental.... Just checked the MC website. 5/8 tubing, serious overkill for a dip tube but your call, will not bend easily without the proper tools. You're going to want to get you r hands on something like this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RIDGID-Tube-Bender-1VTT6 Might even be worth trying some of the local commercial plumbing outfits. If you can drop by their office they may be willing to bend it for you at a reasonable price.

I ordered a 3 foot section of stainless steel tubing to make a new dip tube for my mashtun (and HLT) and I was wondering how I should go about getting the 90 degree bend in it. I will need to go from my ball valve through my false bottom.

The tubing is from McMaster-Carr and it's part number 89895K155. My thought was to build a mold where I could put the tube in and then use the leverage of the pipe to bend it.

My concerns are crimping the tube or cracking it. Should I heat it? are the side walls going to be too thick?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The cost of the 3' tube is a bit more than what Derrin at Brewer's Hardware would charge to custom build one for you one.

Maybe a spring bender would help if you have one or know somebody who does.

$2 tube bender kit at HF

image_1608.jpg

One goes inside the tube and another on the outside. Grab the tubing with each hand on either side of the bend and pull it over a 3" diameter whatever object you have; fence post, railing, bong.

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I might not be able to get this done to brew on Sunday unless I can get a shop to bend it for me. I got 5/8 tubing since that is the OD of the copper tubing I already drilled my false bottom for.

I did read a few things on filling them with sand but not sure how well you need to cap the ends to keep the sand in the tube. I might have to hit up harbor freight and just get by this weekend.

Back