bottle storage temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch ever last week. I have them stored in the garage right now where it is around 35-40 degrees. That is just a good guess... Is that temp ok for the bottling phase?
Thanks, Nick

Nope, not if you ever want them to carb and condition. The yeast are now asleep and doing nothing.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Bring your beers inside and let them warm up for a few weeks and they will be fine. But right now you're retarding the process.

Not only will they not carb, but I don't know if I would really want my beer in an area with such great temperature swings.

Back