I think I messed up my brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willywonkaou812

Reaction score
Hello all,
I transferred my beer from the primary to the secondary but the syphon didnt work very well and I got some air bubbles into the carboy. I think that the hose was too big for the auto syphon and drew in some air. Going to get a better fitting tube for next time. Sheez.
Now I am concerned about this and wondering if I have contaminated the batch of beer. There's not much I can do about it now but wondering if any body else has had this problem and was still successful?

Thanks,

PS its a Coopers English Bitter.

this has happened to all of us one time or another. Most likly you would have oxidised your beer rather than contaminated it as its fairly difficult to contaminate a fermented beer. Relax and wait until its bottled and tasted because theres absolutly nothing you can do until then.
-Cheers

You're fine, don't worry. Its generally a good idea to avoid introducing air to beer after fermentation, but it's not like air will immediately putrify your brew. If you're worried about oxidation, this is not enough to matter (especially if you don't plan to age this thing for a half-decade before drinking). If you're worried about infection, a fermented beer has enough alcohol in it to protect it reasonably well against a random dust mote or two.

Correct - a few bubbles are not going to destroy your beer. We have indeed all done this at one point or another, but RDWHAHB, it's going to be fine...

Latest posts

Back