Anyone ever do 15 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing the Haus Ale this weekend and since I have a 20 gallon kettle, I'm thinking I should be able to squeeze out a 15 gallon batch.

I'm figuring on starting with 18 gallons and boil down to 16 to split between 3 bucket fermenters.

Anyone else try this?

I have someone in my brew club that brews 15 gallon batches almost exclusively. His brew kettle is 20 gallons as well. I can't speak to your volumes cause I could boil off 2 gallons in an hour doing a 5 gallon batch but my equipment is different, obviously, from yours.

:tank:

My next upgrade will be a 20 gallon kettle to replace my 15 gallon keggle. This will give me some wiggle room for longer boils without worry of boil over and larger batches. I was thinking about trying some 13 gallon batches. That is probably pushing it in a 14.5 gallon fermenators and a blow off tube will absolutely be required. But if it works, I can get two 5 gallon kegs and a 3 gallon in one shot. I happen to have five 3 gallon kegs...

That is a big brew pot! I never have, but I have a keggle I am planning on doing big batches. I will keep you posted...

I have a 30 gallon kettle, usually do 20-25 gallon batches, but some smaller also if its not a house session brew.

Not intentionally. I have a cobbled sanke system.

On my last brewday, after filling my kettle to the 14 gal mark, I still ended up with 3 gallons of 1.031 wort from the sparge before I hit 1.018. I set that aside in the chest freezer to cool it thinking I'd use it for starters or something.

After a 90 minute boil I discovered I still had 12 gallons of 1.069 wort in the kettle. So, I tossed caution to the wind and blended the boiled with the non boiled. Pitched yeast and dubbed it "Blender Beer" (a stretch I know).

I haven't bothered to calculate the SG of the dilution. I expect it comein around 4%ABV and it tastes wonderfull.

I do 12 gallon batches but boil 13 gallons in a keggle. That's as close to 15 as I can get. It works well, too. I'd say do it.

My next upgrade will be a 20 gallon kettle to replace my 15 gallon keggle. This will give me some wiggle room for longer boils without worry of boil over and larger batches. I was thinking about trying some 13 gallon batches. That is probably pushing it in a 14.5 gallon fermenators and a blow off tube will absolutely be required. But if it works, I can get two 5 gallon kegs and a 3 gallon in one shot. I happen to have five 3 gallon kegs...

Yeah, the Blingmann 20 gallon works great for 10 gallon batches with absolutely no worry for boil overs, but since my fermenter freezer got upgraded from 10 to 14 cu. ft., I believe I can fit 3 buckets in there.

Bigger grain bill, but an extra keg from each batch. That will be nice.

I'm gonna do on Sunday. 1 batch of Haus Ale and there goes half a bag of Pale 2 row. Woot!

Thanks for the feedback!

Edwort,
Go for it. As long as you can get them all in the cooler.
I have been doing all my fermentation refrigerated in my conical and Sanke kegs (no mods) just a big stopper with a 3/4 blowoff and I catch the yeast for the next batch in a sanitary container vented to a water lock container. I just love the space I have now. It makes brewing a pleasure.

Yup, I'm a 15 gal brewer. I use a single conical, though, rather than splitting the batch across smaller fermenters. I use a 20 gal kettle, and even with 17.5 gallons in it, I've never even approached a boil over. Better have a hell of a burner, though...and a pump.

I do 2 13 gallon batches every brew day. Fill to 14 gallons, boil 90 min and top off to 13 with water.

Using dry yeast Ed?

i get 14 gallons even in my 15 gal keggle. For a 34 pound grain bill i have about 8 1/2 gallons of water for mash out. and i fill my hot L tank to the top. ( 15 gal ) at 175. at the end i get 14 gal even.

Latest posts

Back