Easy Peasy Pear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on the 100% pear. It has only been ~10 days but it is already starting to clear. Never the less, i will leave it for about 21 days.

Tasted it today (21 days) Its fantastic. The scale shows me its ~ 1.012. So it still hasn't fermented out, and i can see it bubble every now and again. I'm going to give it another week and see where its at, and will probably bottle either way. Its definitely drinkable now. I can taste a little bit of the honey but mostly pear. a more pear flavor than the 50/50 mix obviously. I'm really diggin it! give it a shot if ya'll want to spend a few bucks on a gallon of gerber.

It might stick it out at 1.012

Phug, you were correct. This weekend, still 1.012. I bottled it as-is without priming or anything.

It had a definite fermented honey flavor. Its a little more pronounced once chilled than it was a week ago.

In addition i started a 6 gal batch with ~4.5 gal pear and 1.5 apple. for the record do NOT get Langers pear juice. It tastes extremely extremely bad. I ended up dumping three 32 oz. bottles it was so bad

Phug, you were correct. This weekend, still 1.012. I bottled it as-is without priming or anything.

It had a definite fermented honey flavor. Its a little more pronounced once chilled than it was a week ago.

In addition i started a 6 gal batch with ~4.5 gal pear and 1.5 apple. for the record do NOT get Langers pear juice. It tastes extremely extremely bad. I ended up dumping three 32 oz. bottles it was so bad

@Hankhill11 I hope the bottles that you dumped were pre-fermentation.

Did your bottles develop any carbonation in the last month? or did they sit solidly at 1.012 even after bottling? Tasting notes?

Did your bottles develop any carbonation in the last month? or did they sit solidly at 1.012 even after bottling? Tasting notes?

I believe i had one of that single gallon batch about a week ago, and still not carbed. Only the slightest psst on open. The taste was OK. not as good as i'd hoped. I would have to have another and actually stop and think about it to give a good taste assessment. I think I have a slight aversion to fermented honey in cider until its well aged.

On the other hand, my 75%pear(gerber)/25%apple(musslemans)/[email protected]/E1118 is 'bulk aging' in the basement right now. It tasted extremely good over the weekend. I racked it to a 5 gal carboy and kept the leftover in the frig to sip on all this weekend. The SG was 1.010 on racking day. I'll try to carb that one as well, and do a 2 gal sweetened, the rest will be as-is. I would recommend trying this using gerber pear and light turbanato.

the langers juice dump was non fermented, and right off the baby isle shelf. but still undrinkable as far as taste goes. My girlfriend agreed.

glad to hear you didn't waste any effort on that langers. Thanks for the update.

I just bottled another batch, using a wheat yeast, same result. I'll post the exact numbers and the yeast strain as soon as I have my log book in my hands again. thought I had it with me today, but it seems I don't

As a complete circle follow up to my 75% pear cider, I bottled it on 4/30/2016 with 4.5oz of corn sugar. It was carbed by 5/30/2016, which was longer than expected.

Its now 2/15/17 and i still have plenty of this batch left. It aged nicely and is still one of my favorites for fruit flavor and easy drinking. Its also super clear and looks really delicious.

I just kicked off a batch is easy peasy perry today, which is 100% Heinz pear juice, with Windsor yeast, we'll see how it goes.

As a complete circle follow up to my 75% pear cider, I bottled it on 4/30/2016 with 4.5oz of corn sugar. It was carbed by 5/30/2016, which was longer than expected.

Its now 2/15/17 and i still have plenty of this batch left. It aged nicely and is still one of my favorites for fruit flavor and easy drinking. Its also super clear and looks really delicious.

Did the 75% pear / 25% apple + turbinado come out with the pear taste?

I'm thinking of doing this for my kid's first birthday party, which will have a lot of non-beer drinkers there. The 75/25/turbinado + a little malic acid for a twinge of sour apple flavor (malic acid is the stuff on the outside of sour patch kids, and worked great in a straight sour apple cider a few years ago).

As far as fresh pear flavor, I guess i wouldn't call it that. It is definitely a refreshing fruity flavor that is different from apple though. I think back sweetening with fresh pear nectar or something might work.
My pallet might not be refined enough, but most pear ciders i have dont actually have a fresh pear pear flavor. They seem to be brighter and lighter than apple ciders in general though. Of course i haven't eaten a real pear in years, so who knows :)

Keep in mind it can get expensive to buy all that pear juice. If you have time you can try it out on a gallon. I dont recall if i posted, but total time for my 5-6 gal batch was 2 months and 10 days

I just bottled my 100% pear batch today. Fg was 1.014 and tastes closer to 1.020 in terms of sweetness. Medium high bodied

Hi All,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I found this while searching for recipes.

I'm quite the novice, but I want to bring this recipe to an event I'm attending in about a month.
Is there any suggestions to shorten the carb time? I was thinking of some priming sugar, but I want to be cautious of exploding bottles.

If i'm not mistaken, the only way to 'shorten carb time' would be to keg it and force carbonation. bottle carbing is the result of fermentation, so it takes the time it takes.. maybe keeping the bottles at the optimum temperature for the yeast would help make them reactivate once bottled? And if your primary fermentation has stopped, you will need priming sugar either way

Agreed, short of force carbing not much you can do except keep it warm. My last batch of this did not carb at all. That said, I enterred it in a competition as a still Perry and took Home silver in the standard cider and Perry category.

Previous feedback was that it would be better with a nice high level of carbonation. So that’s what the next batch will have since I can keg now.

Hi All,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I found this while searching for recipes.

I'm quite the novice, but I want to bring this recipe to an event I'm attending in about a month.
Is there any suggestions to shorten the carb time? I was thinking of some priming sugar, but I want to be cautious of exploding bottles.

You could probably get it bottled but not carbed in the bottle in a month. Depending on how bottling goes you might have a wee bit of co2 in it by then but certainly not finished, I think. Would still be drinkable, probably.

I see. Kegging is a bit too advanced for me, would you recommend carbonation drops, or is does affect flavor?

You could probably get it bottled but not carbed in the bottle in a month. Depending on how bottling goes you might have a wee bit of co2 in it by then but certainly not finished, I think. Would still be drinkable, probably.

Carbonation drops are just sugar and (depending on which drops) sometimes a bit of bottling yeast. There should be no real difference between using them and any other simple sugar.

Have you guys tried a less flocculant yeast? Maybe it just drops out too rapidly.

Or did you try yeast nutrients at the start of fermentation? Maybe the lack of nutrients is so strong at the end of fermentation that the yeast simply is done and has no resources left for the bottle carbonation.

Just bottles my first batch of ezpz Perry.

.75 gal of Gerber's pear
1.75 organic pear juice (expensive but the only thing available)
2.5 gal honey crisp apple juice.

Og-1.049
Fg- 1.010

Very darn tasty. Only thing missing is the carbonation.

Primed with a can of tree top FAJC.

A month before my event. hopefully I have some carbonation before then. I might toss these in a black box and leave them in the sun. Not sure how else to speed up carbonation.

Just bottles my first batch of ezpz Perry.

.75 gal of Gerber's pear
1.75 organic pear juice (expensive but the only thing available)
2.5 gal honey crisp apple juice.

Og-1.049
Fg- 1.010

Very darn tasty. Only thing missing is the carbonation.

Primed with a can of tree top FAJC.

A month before my event. hopefully I have some carbonation before then. I might toss these in a black box and leave them in the sun. Not sure how else to speed up carbonation.
Did you get your carbonation?

It did, yes! I added 160g of sugar totle. A bit more than what you suggested. Waited a full 5 weeks. Carb is perfect but i feel like it takes away some of the flavor. When i tasted the unbottled product the flavor was much stronger.

Also i hAve a bit of trub on the bottom. Is that normal? First time ive bottled.

Back