oatmeal stout-extract or partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a "breakfast" stout by brewing a basic oatmeal stout and adding some cocao nibs and coffee (cold brewed) in the secondary.

So my question is, I want to try my hand at doing a partial mash with a BIAB method, is this a good style to try with or am I going to get as good of a product with an extract kit?

Thx

I've not got to that level yet; If i was going to do a partial mash for a first time I might want to try something simple with lots of grains with diastatic power and nothing complicated. On the other hand, Oatmeal Stouts are fantastic, and as you need to mash then what better reason to make the step up! I've heard that non diastatic components of a mash are best kept to a minimum, with a lot of 2-row in the mash along with them to ensure a good conversion, but on this topic, someone suggested that a 1:1 ratio should suffice to get oats to convert:
http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/5037/oatmeal-stout-steeping-or-mash
So, following that, a mini mash with the right type of oatmeal/flaked oats should turn out nice.

I'm thinking of doing a "breakfast" stout by brewing a basic oatmeal stout and adding some cocao nibs and coffee (cold brewed) in the secondary.

So my question is, I want to try my hand at doing a partial mash with a BIAB method, is this a good style to try with or am I going to get as good of a product with an extract kit?

Thx

Brewing a proper oatmeal stout is the reason a lot of people start doing partial mashes. its a perfect style for a biab/stovetop partial mash because you only NEED to mash a small amount.

Fantastic, thanks for the replies. Seeing that I saw a few oatmeal stouts at a very reasonable price, I think I'm going to give it a try.

Back