Virgin Islands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had been there. I owe my wife a nice vacation for our 10 year anniversary. We're pretty sure we want to stay on St. John for 4 nights. Anything out of the typical worth seeing? Any places to avoid?

I've been to St. John 3 times and St. Thomas once. Always a blast. If you want a great place to stay, look into house rentals in Klein Bay. That was by far the best view of anywhere. The Westin there is very nice too, but it is not as delocated if you're looking for that sort of thing.

I'm real big into snorkeling and free diving, so if you want good beaches to snorkel off of I would recomend the following.
5. Trunk Bay (this is the place you see on post cards, awsome beach, one of the more crowded, snorkeling is decent).
4. Cinnamon Bay (Right next to Trunk Bay, a wider beach with less people. More of a swim to the outcrop, but better snorkeling)
3. Hawks Nest (This place has some great snorkeling, but I might suggest taking a boat to it. If you go from the beach you'll be in choppy/shallow water for a good while before you get out into the good areas)
2. Water Lemon Key (In Leinster Bay. You have to go for a little hike if you want to avoid a long swim, but this place is the best offshore snorkeling you'll find. If you go during the right time of year there are hundreds of starfish on the gentle sloping east side of the key and there are almost always turtles to the west and south of the key.
1. Congo Cay (You'll have to take a boat, but this is the best place you'll find on the island. Shallow, dense marine life on one side, deeper on the other side with large Tarpin and the occasional reef shark if you're lucky.)

Any other questions just let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I might pm you if I have more questions. I read about Hawks Nest and Water Lemon Key. Plan on doing those. We were also looking into hiking the north-south trail that goes down to an old plantation and the south end of the island. Our big decision is lodging. I'm leaning on a cheaper B&B away from the ocean. We plan on spending a lot of time away from the hotel, so we could save a couple of bucks that way. Any suggestions on off the beaten path restaurants?

Take a day trip to Tortolla, buy a bottle of Pussers rum, and make sure to have a few "Pain Killers" - local rum drink, really good in the warm carribbean sun :)

Pain Killer recipe: equal parts of orange juice and pineapple juice, one measure of Pussers light rum, one measure of Pussers dark rum, one half measure cream of coconut, serve over ice, top with fresh grated nutmeg.

Back