Is Silicone Sealant Safe for Mashtun repair?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airetime

Reaction score
I use an older Coleman Ice chest for a Mashtun and I have developed a crack in the plastic lid on the inside. I would like to repair it since it is in an area that is like a seam so it would be a clean repair.

Is any of the silicone products out there safe to use on a Mashtun? If not what is and where can I get some? :drunk:

I think most Silicone Aquarium Sealants are food safe. I'd double check, but that might be your best bet.

If so they are available at most PetSmarts/PetCo's/etc

most of the silicone sealants i know have fungicide in them (trust me you don't want those in your beer). I guess the million dollar question is will liquids come into contact with it?
If not i'd say fine IMO!! iyou could also try using silicone for fish tanks (non-toxic when cured) this has had all the nasties taken out of it so as not to kill the fish.
How big is the crack? you could probably just throw a blanket over it when mashing to hold the heat better.

I used aquarium sealant on mine, which you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. It's 100% clear silicone, can stand up to higher than boiling temps, and it is food-safe when cured.

Thanks all! I appreciate your input. I will be heading into town to pick up some Aquarium Silicone sealant and fix my mashtun. Seems right as it doesn't kill the fish, it won't kill me LOL. :mug:

Buford said:
I used aquarium sealant on mine, which you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. It's 100% clear silicone, can stand up to higher than boiling temps, and it is food-safe when cured.

What brand and type are you using I couldn't find any that was high temp AND food grade. I even called DAP and got the run around from some guy who didn't know anything.

Thanks

100% silicone, which is what aquarium sealant is, should good for up to around 400 degrees F, so hot water isn't an issue.

EDIT: I just realized something I had forgotten from making my mash tun. Cooler walls are often made of polyethylene. Polyethylene is one of the few things that cured silicone won't stick to - it'll just peel right off. The only silicone applications I made were on brass and stainless steel hardware in the tun.

SchulteMeister said:
Did the silicone stick to your coleman chest?

It took a LOT to get it stuck and sealed. Maybe using some rough sandpaper on the area first would help.

I use an older Coleman Ice chest for a Mashtun and I have developed a crack in the plastic lid on the inside. I would like to repair it since it is in an area that is like a seam so it would be a clean repair.

Is any of the silicone products out there safe to use on a Mashtun? If not what is and where can I get some? :drunk:

Try JB Weld. Everything I've read about it says it's food safe. It's a great product.. IMO

Latest posts

Back