Almost Time for First Brew. Quick Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigt85

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well, looks like I'm getting a full kit from Midwest and an their Irish Red extract recipe for x-mas, and I've been counting the days before I can brew. I also got a really good deal on a 24 qt heavy duty (7 gauge) aluminum pot.

I already know to boil to set the oxidation layer on the metal to coat it, but I have a question regarding my boil volume. Would it be possible to do 5 gal or even 5.5 gal with fermcap-s and a spray bottle to knock down the foam? Also, I don't have a wort chiller (yet), and was thinking that such a large boil volume without a chiller might be not so good (ice bath might take a longgg time to bring down the temp).

Thoughts? TIA :mug:

I just got my chiller off ebay, is made very well. It even has the garden hose connections connected directly to the copper tubing. ( no clamps or hosing to leak)

I think i paid 45 shipped for the 32' copper immersion chiller.

I've heard that fermcap-s is miraculous stuff, but I've never used it myself. I wouldn't personally go over 4 1/2 gallons in that pot without it, especially if you're brewing in your kitchen.

That's a decent kit to start with, too. There's a wealth of info on here about brewing, and the book How To Brew by John Palmer is a good read. It's online somewhere, I'm sure google can point you to it.

Thanks! Yeah I've learned enough to probably get a B.S. in brewing over the past few weeks from this site. Also, I've read Palmer's site and could basically understand the majority of it. I just wish I had more $ and didn't live in an apt so I could've started with AG

Couple of things to check before you start your brew:

1) Make sure you can bring 5 gallons to boil and keep it boiling even when you add the ingredients. Most (if not all) electric stoves can't handle that volume and you run the risk of craking a glass stove top if you have one. If you have a turkey fryer or a gas stove top, that should work fine.

2) Boilovers can be messy if you're brewing inside. If you are using a turkey fryer, there's not a whole lot to worry about. In the end, no one can say for certain whether you'll have a boilover with only .5 - 1 gallon of extra space in the kettle because every beer brews differently, even if you are using the same ingredients. I recently brewed an 5 gallon IPA in a 9 gallon kettle and the break material almost ran over.

3) Make your own immersion chiller. I bought 50' of 3/8" copper and built my own for $54. I cool 5 gallons of wort to 70* in less than 10 minutes. IC's are crucial for full volume boils.

Thanks for the info dpittard. I'm thinking that because I don't have an IC as of now, I'll do a partial, and after I make one switch to a an almost full boil due to the ability to more efficiently cool the wort. I have a pretty good open coil electric range (no glass) and I've heard that using heat resistant material to insulate the pot helps to achieve and hold bigger boils.

Thanks for the info dpittard. I'm thinking that because I don't have an IC as of now, I'll do a partial, and after I make one switch to a an almost full boil due to the ability to more efficiently cool the wort. I have a pretty good open coil electric range (no glass) and I've heard that using heat resistant material to insulate the pot helps to achieve and hold bigger boils.

Try boiling just water and see how long it takes and if it can boil. Until I got my chiller, I did an ice batch in my sink of 5gallons. It was a pain, but it worked. It makes a big difference if you stir the wort and agitate the water in the sink so that cold water is always against the pot.

I have full boiled 5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot.

You just have to start with 4 gallons or so and add the rest as evaporation occurs.

I use My kids' pool as a chiller. I let the hose run full blast against the pot. Water will pour out of the low side of the pool, keeping water moving around the pot.

Back