Recipes that use only wheat/barley LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
My LHBS carries Briess Bavarian Wheat (65% wheat/35% barley) LME that I would like to try. I'm curious what recipe(s) will work well using only this extract? I was thinking of trying a SMaSH-like recipe by combining this extract with hops, and that's it. The simplicity of this is intriguing.

Do it. It'll work fine.

As far as recipe, something like some of this extract, some hops, boil it, add a pack of dry yeast, and you're done.

Thanks for the tip. What full recipes out there can be made using only wheat/barley LME?

Without steeping grains? I'd imagine some kind of wheat beer would be about it. Take between 7-8 pounds of it, put in 8-15 ibu of bittering hops, and make a wheat beer.

So a simple wheat/barley LME with hops would be a fun thing to try.

But I'm also curious what recipes/styles out there use only wheat/barley for the extract?

I might just go for a simple Hefeweizen, found some recipes that use only wheat LME and a single bittering hop addition.

I might just go for a simple Hefeweizen, found some recipes that use only wheat LME and a single bittering hop addition.

That's what we've been saying!

Hefeweizen is the german word for wheat beer. If you only use LME and a bittering hop, it's exactly the same thing.

That's what we've been saying!

Hefeweizen is the german word for wheat beer. If you only use LME and a bittering hop, it's exactly the same thing.

Hah as you can tell I'm still new to this :( I was thinking that Hefeweizen contained other ingredients besides wheat.

How does this recipe sound? I'm going for a hefeweizen-like beer with a little more ABV and a bit more hoppiness (maybe not a hefe anymore?).

8lb Breiss Bavarian Wheat LME (65% wheat, 35% barley)
1oz Hallertau hops, 60 min
1oz Hallertau hops, 10 min
WLP300 Hefeweizen ale yeast

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.44%
IBU: 13.68

Aiming for a 5 gal batch, 3 gal boil. Thinking of adding 1-2lb of LME in the beginning and the rest with 10 min or so left. Ferment at 66-67F for the first week then raise to ~70F for second week to get a good balance of clove and banana.

What would be the effect of substituting some the LME for plain sugar?
Would a starter be required? I hear underpitching yeast will lead to more banana flavors which may be desirable here.

Thoughts?

I've heard Saaz is a good hop for your late addition instead of hallertau

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Got ya! My LHBS just recommended to mix the same with hallertau for a hefe

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

How does this recipe sound? I'm going for a hefeweizen-like beer with a little more ABV and a bit more hoppiness (maybe not a hefe anymore?).

8lb Breiss Bavarian Wheat LME (65% wheat, 35% barley)
1oz Hallertau hops, 60 min
1oz Hallertau hops, 10 min
WLP300 Hefeweizen ale yeast

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.44%
IBU: 13.68

Aiming for a 5 gal batch, 3 gal boil. Thinking of adding 1-2lb of LME in the beginning and the rest with 10 min or so left. Ferment at 66-67F for the first week then raise to ~70F for second week to get a good balance of clove and banana.

What would be the effect of substituting some the LME for plain sugar?
Would a starter be required? I hear underpitching yeast will lead to more banana flavors which may be desirable here.

Thoughts?

Right about under pitching for banana. Also I think fermenting warm gives you more banana. BUT I don't think 300 is the most flavorful option for those flavors. That's American wheat right?

Back