first batch and an ambitious try at it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing a maple stout. After 3 days of fermentation, the acivity has slowed to a crawl. Is that normal?

Also, I was curious, so I took an SG reading today, and it looks like almost exactly 1.060. I'm pretty sure my OSG was 1.070. Because the fermentation was SO active, wouldn't I see more of a change right now?

Is it possible that I misread my hydrometer and the OSG was actually 1.170? That sounds huge to me so I didn't think it was possible, but I do seem to remember hydrometer riding extremely high in the tube.

Will I need to re-charge if fermentation stops with the SG still so high?

All noobie queries I know...maybe I should just relax...and have a brew?

Thanks!

Pat

I think you should be a little patient. Its only been 3 days. Dont go by the bubbles in the airlock, they are not a good indication of the fermenting process. Let it sit for a few more days and then take another reading. After you do that, wait another 2 days or so and take a reading again. If the readings do not change, most of your fermenting in the primary is done.

If you want to do like a lot of us do, leave your beer in the primary for 3+ weeks before taking your second gravity reading. It almost assures that your fermentation is finished, and gives the yeast time to clean up any off flavors.

What did you put your hydrometer in to take the readings? If it was a plastic tube then sometimes the hydrometer will stick to the sides, giving you a higher reading than it actually is. Next time make sure you spin the tube when the hydrometer is in there and let it settle correctly. I use the plastic tube the hydrometer came in and I'm going to buy a hydrometer jar like this one http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PLASTIC_HYDROMETER_JAR_P1976C74.cfm so I don't have to worry about the sticking issue.

For a beer to have an OG of 1.170, it would be an ambition first try! haha
Unless you used something like 20 lbs of DME in a 5 gallon batch, I think 1.070 is your correct OG.

Are you confident your hydrometer is accurate? Try putting it in some room temperature water. It should read very close to 1.000

Back