Refillable 5 gallon water jug as carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadenning

Reaction score
My company uses those large sized water bottles(about 5 gallon size) which are refilled by a contracted company that also provides the cooler. My question is, is it okay to use one of these refillable water jugs as a carboy?

You will get mixed answers on this one, but I believe the general consensus is that you should only use them if they have the "1" or "2" recyclable class rating stamped on them. Alot of these bottles you will find have a "7" which basically means it is safe for water only.

Of course you will have some people say that you shouldnt use anything but glass, and others that say that none of these plastics will harm you. In the end I would do my research on plastics and make a sound judgement based on your beliefs.

From what I understand, kpr121 is pretty much spot on.

The major arguments are:

1. BPA can be leached from certain plastics if the liquid is acidic enough. #7 plastic, which a lot of water jugs are made of, is particularly bad for this. As it's a proven carcinogen, you need to avoid these. #1 (PET) and #2 (HDPE) plastic don't contain BPA in any significant amounts, so they're okay on that front.

2. #2 plastic, however, is not a particularly strong barrier against oxygen. #1 is what Better Bottles (BB) are made of and is the best plastic in this regard.

3. BB's are coated on the inside to ensure they're as smooth as glass (or as close as you can make plastic to glass). This makes sanitization and cleaning -way- easier. Most water jugs are significantly rougher and present a bit more of a risk of infection.

That being said, you'll always find people who are all for it. They're a hell of a lot cheaper, that's for sure. All comes down to how much you want to spend to protect the time/money invested in a batch :p.

- Budista

My local HEB (grocery store down south) has #1 5 gallon jugs for about $12. Not bad considering you get 5 gallons of clean water too.

About six months ago, when I first started looking into brewing I spent a lot of time researching this, as I was on a very tight budget. The two main areas of concern were:
Oxygenation of the wort: After mulling over all the research I determined that this would only be a problem if you are aging for an extended period of time. What is an extended period of time? I have brewed two batch and I use these bottles for both primary and secondary. Primary has been out to 10 days while secondary has been out to 4 weeks; both batches turned out to be good beers. So, I would bet that for most beers you would be fine but if 3+months of aging is required who knows.

Second issue had to do with the glues used to make these bottles; I look at life this way; there are so many possibly harmful things we eat, drink and breathe that the "potential" leaching of carcinogens is way down on the fright list. One would think if there is leaching of carcinogens into the beer there would be off flavors and I have not experienced that.

The upside to these bottles; very cheap and light. This is all from a newbe/laymans point of view do your research and make your best decision and relax. Cheers!!

The Crystal Clear bottling company (Des Moines-based company) has started replacing their old #7 plastic water jugs with #1 plastic. Once we started getting them at my office, I was able to pick up an empty 5 gallon water jug for $7.50. A cheapo bung and airlock later, and I have a whole new fermenter for around $10. It's currently holding 5 gallons of apfelwein. :mug:

I used a #3 PVC jug from walmart. I'm not too worried about it being harmful, but i won't be storing a beer long term in it for fear of oxygenating the beer over time.

I understand the concern of the plastic leaching. Specificaly if it is going to contain something edible for long periods. My question is, how much leaching could happen in the short time the thing contains beer or other ferment-able substance?

How long is the water in these things before they are empty. I'm not suggesting that we ignore this, however are we getting a bit paranoid with this ?

Back