Bulk ageing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
I plan to bulk age some blackberry wine. Have read on several post that when one does this you add 1/4 tsp of k-melta every three months. My question is since the wine is very clear do I need to rack every three months or can I just put the sulphite to the 5 gal carboys?

If you are not racking you don't really need to add the campden. You do want to rack off the lees though when they form (thus the every 3 months thing) so you end up without any sediment in the wine bottles. I've bottled too early before and ended up having a little layer of sediment in the bottles.

Same here...the blackberry through off a ton of lees but now very little is on the bottom. Have backsweeten the wine and prior to that used sulphite and sorbate. Will bottle the 75 gal of blackberry wine in Jan...have lots of folks bringing me bottles..So much wine so little time...

Latest posts

Back