Stupid yeast starter question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
Hey, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm making my first batch this weekend and want to get everything right, or as close as I can. I'm making a yeast starter with White Labs yeast today, and was wondering: should the temp of the yeast in the bottle be at the same temp as the cooled wort when I pitch the yeast, or does it matter? I just thought if everything was the same temp it would make the yeast happier, but I don't know.
Thanks.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I read the vial of yeast a second ago and kinda answered my own question (remove for 3-6 hours prior to pitching), meaning remove from fridge... lol Thanks though. I'm sure I'll have more "stupid" questions in the coming weeks as the beer is fermenting... :)

Yep, get close, and you'll be fine.

Incidentally, if it's your first time, crack the lid on the yeast vial slowly, or you run the risk of experiencing brewkakke -- getting a face full of gunk from your brewing equipment.

Back