Manually cleaning beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpionc53

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with cleaning beer lines without buying the fancy pump bottles? I was looking at some cleaning kits for my kegerators beer line and thought that maybe it would be easier to run some starsan or other detergent through the lines manually and get the same effect? Anyone have a way to clean out the beer line, coupler, tapper without the pump bottles or any cons to doing it that way? Starsan or Easy A ok to use or should I be getting the 'official' beer line cleaner? Thanks in advance for the help!

Anyone familiar with cleaning beer lines without buying the fancy pump bottles? I was looking at some cleaning kits for my kegerators beer line and thought that maybe it would be easier to run some starsan or other detergent through the lines manually and get the same effect? Anyone have a way to clean out the beer line, coupler, tapper without the pump bottles or any cons to doing it that way? Starsan or Easy A ok to use or should I be getting the 'official' beer line cleaner? Thanks in advance for the help!
I use a 3 gallon Cornie filled with hot PBW and the CO2 does all the work pushing the hot cleaner trough all the lines and taps.
The process is repeated with hot water to rinse and cold SaniClean.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

i just replace mine because it is so cheap. Im just using the bevflex stuff.

I built one of these. Highly recommended, the compact form and built in pump avoids the whole "wasted CO2" thing and makes cleaning lines easy enough that you won't procrastinate about it ;)

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
I built one of these. Highly recommended, the compact form and built in pump avoids the whole "wasted CO2" thing and makes cleaning lines easy enough that you won't procrastinate about it ;)

Cheers!

+1 on this method

I use a 3 gallon Cornie filled with hot PBW and the CO2 does all the work pushing the hot cleaner trough all the lines and taps.
The process is repeated with hot water to rinse and cold SaniClean.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

The above will work well, is simple, and depending on your physical set up, you could let gravity do the work and not use any CO2. Just put the keg higher than the tap. You might need a little CO2 to get the flow started, or you could suck on the tap :cross: Just leave the pressure release valve open.

If you don't have a way to elevate a keg above the tap, you can "lower" the tap outlet instead. Just attach a length of tubing to the tap so that the end of the tubing is below that of where you have the keg. The lower the tubing, the faster the flow. This of course is actually safer as you won't be lifting a potentially hot caustic solution above tap height

Any ideas for just a line and tap? I don't have the line hooked to any couplers. Can I hook up my line to maybe a siphon and push cleaner through the tap? Then rinse with water? Any downside to using starsan or should I be using more/other chemicals?

Back