Efficiency issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
This is the recipe I used. Its Edworts Bavarian Hefe...

10 Gal batch

14 lb Wheat
8 lb pilsner
1 lb rice hulls
2 oz hallettau
Wyeast Weihenstepan 3068

Crushed grain with a Scmidling Malt Mill
Mashed in 24 qt H2O for 90 min @154
I think I may need to adjust the sparging technique I'm using. Here it what I'm currently doing. I am using a 10 gal rubbermaid drink cooler for my tun with a braided stainless drain line. I sparged with 7 gal 175 H2O. I dont disturb the grain bed at all while sparging. I turn the valve on the tun so I am collecting about 1 cup of wort every 20-25seconds. Then I add sparge water to the top of the grain bed as needed. I always leave 2-3 inches of water above the grain bed so all the grain is in suspension. When I ran the numbers in ProMash it said the potential OG should be around 1.064. Assuming a 75% efficeincy. I got 1.048......thats only a 62% efficiency.
Should I be using a different sparge technique? I have read that stirring and then letting it sit is also an acceptable method but I haven't tried it out yet. It seems everything is working awesome and then I go to get a reading and it sucks.........
I also brewed a stout last week using the same method and only got a 1.044. I only used 18.5 lbs of grain but still seems low. Thanks..

Is your OG measured post boil and did you hit your target volume?
I've gotten my efficiency consistent but I still miss my target volume most times. If I plug in the actual volume my efficiency makes more sense. If you are using preboil gravity or your post boil volume is more than 10gal your efficiency may be much better than you think.
Also how does your crush look. Have you measure the gap or do you have the fixed gap mill? I went from about 62% efficiency with precrushed grain to 80% efficiency with my Barley Crusher.
Your sparging technique sounds OK. I use a batch sparge technique with my 5gal cooler and braid. After mashing I drain the MLT quickly then add half of my sparge water at 180F to the MLT. I stir the mash and let it sit for 5min then drain again. The I add the rest of the sparge water (about 175F), stir, sit 5min and drain. I find this easier than worrying about flow rates and water levels, but other perfer fly sparging.
Craig

It sounds like you're trying to fly (continuous) sparge with a braid. That doesn't work too well because you end up channeling past a lot of sugars. The only way to optimize your fly sparge is to use a false bottom or wide manifold and you'll also need a way to distribute your water additions across a wider area.

The more simple thing to do is batch sparge.
1. Vorlauf, then drain the tun.
2. Add half your sparge water, stir well, vorlauf, drain.
3. Add second half your sparge water, stir well, vorlauf, drain.

I hit my post boil volume of 10 gal. But missed the estimated FG. I think I will definetly batch sparge next time. I think I am getting some channeling when I try to fly sparge. I think it would work much better with a false bottom and not a braid. Anyway thanks for the help....

Back