first year question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
i know not to expect hops off a first year plant.
i'm just curious as to why that is. is it the hops' natural growing strategy from being cut? or is it just that it doesn't have enough strength after growing new roots and some bines and storing energy for next season?

Some people may not get hops the first year but I put four rhizomes in Spring of 2010 (Minneapolis, MN), and I got hops on each of my hops (Williamette, Cascade, Nugget, Zues). I got a few ounces off of my Zues and Nugget and a handful off of the other two. I'm not positive as to why some don't get hops the first year but I'm sure it has something to do with the development of the plant. Sometimes as I found the first year the vines kinda get stunned at times in the season that can effect whether or not they flower. For example my young vines got stunned a couple times during critical times by high temps and not enough moisture as I was out of town. A veteran vine has the ability in my opinion to overcome these types of things.

It is not so much that you are to expect no hops from first year plants, but rather do not plan on alot of hops. Most(if not all) 1st year hops should produce cones, just not as many as you will get in years to come as most of the plants energy is going into establishing a killer root system.

I also read that first year cones don't contain as much AA as successive years will bring. It's not until the 3rd or 4th year that they really mature and start producing a solid harvest.

or is it just that it doesn't have enough strength after growing new roots and some bines and storing energy for next season?

I think you hit on the answer. During the first year, that rhizome is doing two primary things. It's developing a root system for years to come and at the same time is growing shoots that will develop foliage to add to the cause. Until the roots develop, the plant has to rely on the energy stored in the rhizome to get going much the same as a seed relies on the starch stored in the seed to initiate growth until the first shoot emerges and has developed roots to forage for water and nutrients. If your plant gets off to a good start and has a nice growing environment the whole process will proceed smoothly. In this situation it has a lot less stress placed on it enabling it to do other things - like provide you with some nice cones.

Back