1/2" nipple in rubbermaid MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegrease

Reaction score
I have searched the forum, I have shopped on-line, I have slogged across the net. Will a 1/2" nipple work in a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler? I see Fly uses 3/8" x 1 1/2" nipple, but the sellers seem to sell 1/2". I would like all stainless, so I ask again will a half inch nipple fit without drilling in a rubbermaid?
Thanks,
Jim

I have a store-bought stainless steel bulkhead solution with a 1/2" nipple on my 10g Rubbermaid MLT, so yes, that will work...

Cheers!

I think what he is asking is if it will fit without drilling the hole bigger or if the hole is bigger than 1/2 inch. My 10 gallon round cooler is an Igloo brand and I had to enlarge it just a little but I had a step bit already.

I think what he is asking is if it will fit without drilling the hole bigger or if the hole is bigger than 1/2 inch. My 10 gallon round cooler is an Igloo brand and I had to enlarge it just a little but I had a step bit already.

If I had needed to drill out the hole, I would have said so. The 1/2" nipple fit through without doing anything to the cooler other than removing and tossing the original valve and the grommet it fit through...

Cheers!

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I am not sure why this was so hard to research. I was about ready to go buy the darn thing and stick a pipe in it! I appreciate the response.
Jim

Just to add to the confusion, someone makes a 100% stainless ball valve, shank and connector set. I bought mine from the LHBS. Personally I love it. The shank now has a 3/8 nipple connecting to 3/8 tubing connecting a 3/8in nipple screwed into a copper manifold. I have had no problems with the setup at all. I would be worried about finding 1/2in tubing though. I looked and that was hard to come by, or maybe I was just looking in the wrong place. (I have 0 experience with plumbing, pipes etc. but my manifold came together.)

I used the grommet that was there for a the spigot in my HD cooler, threaded a 1/2 sharkbite nipple through the grommet (for quick dc from the ball valve), and it is wonderfully waterproof.

I looked at my 3 gallon igloo and the factory hole and spigot is BIGGER than a 1/2 inch. Maybe my 10 gallon igloo being older version had a smaller hole and all thenewer ones are bigger. Who knows?

i'm pretty sure the rubbermaid cooler fits the 3/8' nipple with the original gasket in place, and the 1/2" fits with a different o-ring/gasket that comes with the pre-assembled bulkheads

Latest posts

Back