2010 Oregon Fresh Hop Festival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunerunner

Reaction score
Anyone have any feed back on this event?

I attended in Eugene the 16th and although there were 20 breweries and 26 fresh hop beers available, it was not very festive.

There were no brewers on site while during the three hours I attended, 12 noon to 3PM. No one to talk to about the beers, the process, the utilization of fresh wet hops in the boil, nothing.

There were a few hop growers and distributers among the fest goers, but they were largely unidentified (undercover).

I won't be attending this event again. Sponsored by the Oregon Brewers Guild and the Oregon Hop Association, this was the most sterile beer event I've ever attended.

I expected something better from the local breweries, that didn't even bother to send an assistant or session brewer to represent their creations. This was really a shame as some of the offerings were just outstanding!

My favorites (Not in any order as they are all different styles):

King Cone - From Deschutes (their Portland Brewpub)
Black Nugget - From Widmer Brothers
Locavore - From Oakshire
Hop Doctor - From Oregon Trail

This event could have been much better!!

I've attended several over the years and the only time I can remember seeing a pro brewer around was when it was held at a brewery. I can talk about beer a lot more than I can drink, but if what there is to do is sample beers, I sample beers.

No offense guys, but at $5 for the taster glass and a $1 a taste, add the cost of the drive and I'd rather go to a good bottle shop and buy a few bottles of good beer.

Most of these were brewed just for the Fresh Hop Fest; specialty, wet hopped beers....Guess I just don't understand the event??

Back