How do you clean your grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I recently mounted my Corona type mill into a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and am wondering how thorough I have to be with cleaning in between brews.

When you are done with your grain mill or more specifically your grain mill bucket how do you clean it? I could spray it with water but I'm afraid this will lead to rusting of the corona mill. I'm not opposed to just letting it sit uncleaned but I don't know if it will get funky in between brews. Suggestions.........

i rarely clean it at all after brewing. sometimes ill give it a few blasts outside with a compressed air computer cleaning can thing, but that's it. if it gets rusty or nasty on the rollers, i will run some extra grain or some rice through it before my next batch.

Just this weekend I had an unfortunate situation develop that involved running a small amount of wet chocolate malt through my Barley Crusher....let me just say as a warning to others: DON'T DO THAT. Huge mistake.

I ended up taking the mill apart and using a regular screwdriver to remove some of the tougher bits stuck between the rollers and the casing, scrubbing off all the removable surfaces, and running a couple of pounds of 2-row through the mill in an attempt to get everything back together and functioning properly again. Oh, and I had to readjust the gaps on the rollers to put them back to normal.

Or, if you do, just run dry grain through it.

Lots of folks wet condition their malt prior to milling. of course, they don;t saturate the garin first though.

I usually will just brush off all dust, etc with a paint brush.

Seems like this is a popular choice. It's funny but a paint brush is actually how I cleaned it last night and had never heard anyone mention this before. I guess we are on the same wavelength....... trippy man. :D

I just don't clean it. There is a very light coating of dust on it, and I imagine that the next time I crush grain, it will get replaced with new dust. The old, stale dust is veyr likely not going to be enough to affect the beer.

So, I just shake all of the loose grains out and put it back in the grain tote.

Back