Comparing Two Summer Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
So, me and my friends brewed two batches of beer for our first run. I decided I'd try to use beer calculus to design a recipe, and the other two just bought a kit. When we actually brewed both batches, we realized that the batches looked and smelled really similar. Here are the two recipes - I'd like to know how different they will hopefully be - or not be. If you guys think they're going to be really quite the same, then we might go find something radically different from both.

Recipe 1:
3.3lbs Pilsen Light Liquid Malt Extract
1lb Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
1lb Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract
8oz Crushed Carapils Malt
1/2oz Cascade Hops for Bittering
1/4oz Cascade Hops for Aroma
1/4oz Cascade Hops for Flavoring
2 1/2oz Bitter Orange and Lemon Peels (total)
SafAle US-05 Beer Yeast

Recipe 2:
(I asked the store guy if it'd work since this is mine, and he just gave me a "wtf" kind of look and said it would be intresting)
4lbs Bavarian Wheat Dry Extract
2lb Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1oz Riwaka NZ Hops for Bittering
1oz Hallertau Hops for Aroma
1oz Hallertau Hops for Flavoring
Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen

the hop flavor/aromas will be different, #1 will be more american with citrus notes v. #2 having noble hop flavor/aroma
the biggest difference is clearly the yeast though. #1 will be clean and #2 will have lots of yeast character (i.e. clove and banana notes).
#2 seems really hoppy for a wheat beer though.

all in, i wouldn't say these recipes are that close at all, very different.

That's the one thing that's strange, is that #2 has more hops, when you'd think it would be #1. But they certainly won't taste similar.

Back