2nd refrig. advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runhard

Reaction score
So I'm acquiring a 2nd refrigerator and thought the garage would be a perfect place to place it. I live in Austin,TX where for about 4 sometimes 5 months of temperatures in the mid-high 90's with 100s for a month or two not out of the question. I understand the basics of refrigeration but does anyone know or feel that the refrigeration unit will work too hard if the temperature of the garage is in the upper 90s and low 100s for a good 10 hours a day. Not certain of the temp. in the garage yet, closing on the house end of June. I just don't want to ruin a refrigerator. Any advice or learned experience? Thanks, Jeffrey

It won't be working any harder, just more runtime during those hours, should be able to handle it as refigerators are designed to run for decades. If the reefer has its coils on the back, it might be a good idea to position a small fan to blow air over them. This would help the performance.

Thanks for the info. I was a little concerned that the compressor would be running for quite some time during the day and the life shortened. I'll take your suggestion of placing a small fan and see if I can rig up a small vent to pull cooler outside air in across the coils and maybe put the fan on a timer or something. It'll give me something to do and maybe an excuse to buy a new tool or two. Thanks again, Jeffrey

You shouldn't have any problems.

I have a VERY OLD "Kelvinator" in the garage and it's about 85F in there right now. I try to keep the temp around 40-44 in the fridge.

When I first plugged it in all my kegs went down to 20F.

I've used 2 different fridge thermometers to aid me in determining the right temp adjustments.

I have a no name fridge from the 60's. Its the type with one door and the freezer in the main compartment. It has been in my garage which regularly gets in the 120's (desert).

It runs more in the garage than it did inside, but it has never had a problem. The only noticable difference is when I used to store bottled beer, I would open it more frequently and this would cause it to frost up.

I used to have to defrost 2 times in the summer alone.

Now I use it as a fermenter, so the freezer never gets cold enough to matter.

Back